Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

New Here :The Evolution of my 996 Turbo 1037 AWHP/ 780 AWTQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
cjv
Teamspeed Senior Member
cjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond repute
Joe,

After looking at your recent piston dome pics I can't help but to wonder if you lowered the stock compression ratio? What ratio did you go with?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by cjv
Joe,

After looking at your recent piston dome pics I can't help but to wonder if you lowered the stock compression ratio? What ratio did you go with?
Chad,
Still pretty close to a stock ratio,the dome was designed to replicate a 997tt(with reliefs cut for piston to valve clearance) piston which has a similar shape and its purpose is to repel detonation.Todd Z
did extensive research in the differences of the 996 vs 997 turbos motors and why the 997 is able to make more power per pound of boost and degrees of timing given the same setup.As a matter of fact given the same setup the 997 engine will always make substantially more power with all other things being equal,so much of the 997 tt technology was incorporated in the build albeit bigger and better.This is one of the reasons for the intake setup on the motor .Todd Z would be able to better explain as ther is much more and I am really only scratching the surface.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
jrekucki is an unknown quantity at this point
That motor is a piece of art! looks good Joe! Cant wait to see it running!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Teamspeed Gaming Guru
cleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond repute
Soooo clean and professional, wow, you must be getting serious ants in your pants to drive this!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 AM
cjv
Teamspeed Senior Member
cjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond reputecjv has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
Chad,
Still pretty close to a stock ratio,the dome was designed to replicate a 997tt(with reliefs cut for piston to valve clearance) piston which has a similar shape and its purpose is to repel detonation.Todd Z
did extensive research in the differences of the 996 vs 997 turbos motors and why the 997 is able to make more power per pound of boost and degrees of timing given the same setup.As a matter of fact given the same setup the 997 engine will always make substantially more power with all other things being equal,so much of the 997 tt technology was incorporated in the build albeit bigger and better.This is one of the reasons for the intake setup on the motor .Todd Z would be able to better explain as ther is much more and I am really only scratching the surface.
Softening or rounding out the sharp edges would make the pistons less prone to detonation. The stock compression is 9.4-1, however as the boost goes up with this compression ratio so does the requirement for higher octane fuel. By lowering the compression, more boost can be run on the same or lower octane fuel. It simply comes down to the maximum boost desired on what octane.

That is what I was getting at with my question.

Regarding the intake, it is definitely better than the stock 996tt's configeration. It looks like a streamline version of my World Cup plenum without the top mixing chamber and tapered runners. Best of luck with it. We stayed with the big top plenum because of our use of nitrous and the chambers good mixing abilities. If it wasn't for our use of nitrous I believe the way you are doing is the way to go. I really can't wait for your numbers. You are really pushing the envelop with your ideas.

That's for sharing the information.

Last edited by cjv; 03-18-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 AM
cjv
Teamspeed Senior Member
Joe,

Here is a pic of our own designed piston dome. We are using RS size valves with racing lifts, however I do like your elimination of sharp edges.

Here is a pic before they were coated for nitrous duty. The sharper edges are more evident here. The deep valve reliefs are required for the cam lift clearance. Since we are currently changing our pistons to from 104.4 to 105.7 mm I am going to speak with our designer about some of your ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by cjv; 03-18-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
[QUOTE=cjv;266429]
Softening or rounding out the sharp edges would make the pistons less prone to detonation. The stock compression is 9.4-1, however as the boost goes up with this compression ratio so does the requirement for higher octane fuel. By lowering the compression, more boost can be run on the same or lower octane fuel. It simply comes down to the maximum boost desired on what octane.
Absolutely,I have pretty much accepted the fact I will mostly be using C16.It made pretty good power for a pump gas setup on the last build (@680awhp) but I really won't use the pump gas much unless i go on a long drive out of state.For me it really is just a Sunday morning thrill ride.

Regarding the intake, it is definitely better than the stock 996tt's configeration. It looks like a streamline version of my World Cup plenum without the top mixing chamber and tapered runners. Best of luck with it. We stayed with the big top plenum because of our use of nitrous and the chambers good mixing abilities. If it wasn't for our use of nitrous I believe the way you are doing is the way to go. I really can't wait for your numbers. You are really pushing the envelop with your ideas.
Thank you for the Kind words Chad,as for the intake Todd and John think its the best solution for my setup,it does require some relocating of some other parts but really is far superior than the 996 turbo intake as it was designed for the 997 turbo whereas the 996 turbo intake was a retrofitted 993 varoram intake with the varoram blocked off.

You are really pushing the envelop with your ideas.
Oh I can't take credit for that one.....there all Todd Z and John's at Evo.

That's for sharing the information
Anytime Chad!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by cleanme
you must be getting serious ants in your pants to drive this!
That is for sure!lol

Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
RSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond reputeRSSbryan has a reputation beyond repute
Impressive...

What a fantastic project...have a great time driving that beast!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
jrekucki is an unknown quantity at this point
UhOh!

Quick Reply: New Here :The Evolution of my 996 Turbo 1037 AWHP/ 780 AWTQ