Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Italy

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
Italy

Heading to Rome in August for a week and the wife and I are looking to take a 3-4 day excursion somewhere else in Italy... We thought of Greece,but just seems like hassle... Any insight from those who have been? Debating between Venice,Naples and Lake Como (if u know George and he is willing to let us crash his pad then no need to discuss).

Thoughts?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Naples is great. Tourists tend to totally ignore it for some reason. That is a HUGE plus, so pricing is good, has so many areas to explore( it may seem very chaotic especially for North Americans, so plan out wisely). You can ferry over to Capri, Almafi(ruined by english expats), positano. Don't know if you could really experience it in 2-3 days. Rome is awesome, I think in August a lot of native Romans head out of town for vacations. Quality of tourists visiting Italy has really degraded over the last few years and they tend to really pack the place up during the summer. I like going when tourists are stuck in their 9-5 grinds back home. Rome I think is best during fall time(aim for late august). There is no way you can do Rome in 2-3 days and then somewhere else another 2-3. Too much of a rush, Rome has a lifetime's worth of experience alone. All of Italy is easily accessible from termini central station, but Venice is still like 4hr+ train ride. Your best bet is to stay in Rome the entire week. Avoid the hustler taxi drivers, everything is pretty much walking distance. Native Italians are very welcoming, most of Romans can easily speak english.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond repute
Just be aware Naples has a lot of trash.. everywhere. I would not reccomend Napoli.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ogaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond repute
Naples is usually ignored because is filthy, is "far" from all the northern cities, and one of the cities with more delinquency in Europe.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand this love for the south of Italy. It's dirty, poor, criminal-infested and not all that much. Bologna really is as far down south in Italy you want to go . . .

Old 05-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Scootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of lightScootypuff Jr. is a glorious beacon of light
I got back from a 3 month stint in Italy not that long ago.

Naples: Actually a very cool city. Yes, kind of dirty / sketchy but has many interesting things in and around it: Pompei, Mt. Vesuvius, Castle St. Elmo.

Venice: A little over rated but still worth seeing.

Florence: Very, very cool little town. If you appreciate its history that makes it an even better place. There are a lot of vendors close to the Duomo that have tons of nice Italian made goods. I bought the best belt I've ever owned from one. However, it is a town that is really only good for a short amount of time. Any more than a couple days and you will find yourself a little bored.

Lake Como: You HAVE to go. I could not possibly explain how amazing of a place it is. By far the most beautiful, inviting, and enjoyable spot I have ever been to. If you can only go to one town in Italy I recommend it over everywhere else, no questions asked.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I'd love to help you out while it's all still fresh in my mind.

Originally Posted by jox
I don't understand this love for the south of Italy. It's dirty, poor, criminal-infested and not all that much. Bologna really is as far down south in Italy you want to go . . .
Long live Padania

Last edited by Scootypuff Jr.; 05-23-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ogaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
I've been living since September in the south of Italy and I can't agree more. Next time I apply for something cheap it will be Poland. This is the biggest shithole I could ever get to with the Erasmus scholarship.

You walk down the street and every teenager is sporting jogging pants as ugly as the ones in the Rocky movies. Old men (mafia ones) sitting in chairs in the street like a f#cking shepherd. People talking with Ow! Eu! 70% of the time. The timetables for buses or bureaucracy are just a guide. You get an appointment with a college professor and 100% of the time he arrives half an hour late at least and 40% of the time he didn't even arrives. When there's a football match it doesn't matter if the team wins or loses the bus gets destroyed (windows flying) in the journey back by some fourteen year old locals. The soccer team loses matches because they have been threatened by ultras so they win their bets.

The most interesting part is the fireworks in the middle of the street at hours like 3am or 10am. Firecrackers that set all alarms at 7am running through four complete squares, just because some mafia guy has been set free.

I could write a book but it would be to similar to the Roberto Saviano one.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
August in Italy...that`s gonna be one huge Tourist Spot
dunno if you would be going to enjoy that...
what are you looking for?
Beaches/relaxation?

Sight seeing / cities?

culture/landscape/people?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Go Celtics. That is all.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
gr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of lightgr1zly is a glorious beacon of light
checkout Garda Lake cities like Salo or Riva

Quick Reply: Italy