Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

1911 choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Most of the major brands have a dedicated subforum at the 1911 forum. I have only posted in the Ed Brown subforum, but I do occasionally read the Nighthawk and Wilson subforums. There is a lot of good information about most mainstream manufacturers...

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by b9ev
Most of the major brands have a dedicated subforum at the 1911 forum. I have only posted in the Ed Brown subforum, but I do occasionally read the Nighthawk and Wilson subforums. There is a lot of good information about most mainstream manufacturers...

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Just found that recently and have started reading it.

Regarding choices, most seem to point to Brown or Wesson for the money. Wilson though is quite tempting. I can get a Valor from Wesson under 1500. And I really like the looks of that pistol.

But here is where I am at. Numerous threads have led me to this train of thought, and see how this sounds. Since this is my first 1911, should I buy a RIA 1911, under $500 out the door, and shoot the living crap out of it for a few months, see what I like and dont like, and then move to a permanent 1911 of higher quality, or just go straight to the high end gun?

I see the logic in buying the RIA for five, shoot it for a few months like crazy and then decide, but then on the other hand, I am putting money into a gun I know I will replace. I would for sure keep the RIA so its not a loss, but would it be better to put it to a model I want?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
STI - hands down.

STI International - STI

Made just north of Austin. Unbelievably fantastic guns. Reasonably priced for what you're getting. They compare to Nighthawk and other high end 1911s, but cost about half.
Scott, I will look into those, they do get mentioned alot on the forums.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
Valor is a fantastic choice

Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
Just found that recently and have started reading it.

Regarding choices, most seem to point to Brown or Wesson for the money. Wilson though is quite tempting. I can get a Valor from Wesson under 1500. And I really like the looks of that pistol.

But here is where I am at. Numerous threads have led me to this train of thought, and see how this sounds. Since this is my first 1911, should I buy a RIA 1911, under $500 out the door, and shoot the living crap out of it for a few months, see what I like and dont like, and then move to a permanent 1911 of higher quality, or just go straight to the high end gun?

I see the logic in buying the RIA for five, shoot it for a few months like crazy and then decide, but then on the other hand, I am putting money into a gun I know I will replace. I would for sure keep the RIA so its not a loss, but would it be better to put it to a model I want?
I think it is a good idea to have a cheap 1911. You can familiarize yourself with the platform and in the future use that as a gun to teach your family and friends on. I think Choke mentioned that he has had extremely good luck with a Taurus 1911.

Whatever gun you end up with, make sure that you know what series it is 70 or 80 so that you can explain it to potential customers. Also research about what parts are MIM, bar stock, cast, etc.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by b9ev
I think it is a good idea to have a cheap 1911. You can familiarize yourself with the platform and in the future use that as a gun to teach your family and friends on. I think Choke mentioned that he has had extremely good luck with a Taurus 1911.

Whatever gun you end up with, make sure that you know what series it is 70 or 80 so that you can explain it to potential customers. Also research about what parts are MIM, bar stock, cast, etc.
Excellent idea. Found this Frequently asked questions about Colt 1911 pistols - 1911Forum and have started reading.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
My father in law has a rock island. Great gun for the price. But he's about to buy a colt. I like my grandfathers old service 1911

Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Narrowing it down now... Springfield TRP or a Valor. Still undecided though, and will really get to handle a lot of them at the SHOT show, but looking at a TRP tomorrow...

Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I like both of those options so long as the TRP doesn't have the rail. I just don't like rails on 1911s.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
The trp operator has a rail...and I LOVE mine.

Quick Reply: 1911 choices