Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Best handgun for the wife?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Well ok then, spent an hour at the gun shop. She fondled just about all of them, from HK to lady plinker revolvers.

Her biggest issue, besides grip size, was slide release on the semi autos. The glocks were impossible to release for her, just to small of release.

I really liked the HK P2000sk, that was a nice weapon. THey were out of the Berretta compact, so she couldnt try that out, but did find one she really liked.

The Springfield Armory XD9 service was her overall choice. She could reach the slide release after a few tries to familiarize herself with it, and by the time she was done was racking and releasing with ease (yes, I did find it quite hot...) Fit her hand quite well, wasnt over sized, and had a good weight to it, so recoil should be manageable for her.

Anyone have any experience with them? I know they make some fierce 1911's, and M14's but havent heard much beyond that. A quick search on Calguns found a lot of positive feedback. Not only that, at 579, leaves room in the budget for a AR for her. :-)

Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Get her something that jams all the time. Less chances she shoots you in the face when you forget some birthday or anniversary.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
Get her something that jams all the time. Less chances she shoots you in the face when you forget some birthday or anniversary.
Not a bad idea...!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
Fit her hand quite well, wasnt over sized, and had a good weight to it, so should be manageable for her.
We still talking about guns here?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Gotham Lush is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this going to be a gun she only takes to the range or something she will carry for self defense?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brett B
Make sure you take the HK P2000SK in 9mm V3 (DA/SA) for a test drive, my wife loves hers. She has small hands and the gun fits her perfectly. The DA first pull is not too heavy for her, she doesn't have any problems racking the slide, and she shoots it very very well. It is amazingly accurate for such a small gun, she can manage the recoil just fine and its small enough for purse carry. Every time we go shooting the range guys give me grief about her shooting better then me.

We rented many different pistols before she decided on this one. It was the best balance of ergonomics, size, weight, accuracy, shootability, and of course quality. It shoots very smoothly for its size. The fit, finish and reliability have been 100% perfect. If the SK feels too small for her just go for the standard size P2000, she will love it.

(Not my picture)

his...or a sig sauer p226 or 229 E2 (ergo). They slimmed the grip down and made the trigger closer to the operator. WONDERFUL gun.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Springfield XD45, not a 9, but still. It's a reliable gun, always goes bang - well at least so far. I like the fact that there's no thumb safety, but some people don't - I guess it's a personal preference. I really have no complaints about it.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute

she was done was racking and releasing with ease (yes, I did find it quite hot...) Fit her hand quite well, wasnt over sized, and had a good weight to it.
Pics or ban...

Anyone have any experience with them? I know they make some fierce 1911's, and M14's but havent heard much beyond that. A quick search on Calguns found a lot of positive feedback. Not only that, at 579, leaves room in the budget for a AR for her. :-)
When I initially took my wife to get her, her "first" POW (personally owned weapon: We don't talk about the prisoners of war we keep locked up in public), my initial curiosity was to get her to size up the XD. She liked it quite a bit, and the changeable backstraps really helped.

But in the end, the ease of use of a revolver won the day. No racking and releasing the slide (even though there are a myriad of drills that can be taught to anyone to make that task simply and instinctive.) A crimson trace was added to the grip, and know she's really ready to deal some metal.

Also, one more thing to consider. Do you have other firearms at home? I cannot remember your inventory. Do you have a shotgun? If so, consider that this weapon for her will be a carry weapon, and when in the home the shotgun is the primary defensive weapon.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh... and about the XD's... I've been going to my club and shooting the XDM 9, and I really enjoy the ergo's on it. I will however purchase the .45. I have no problems with 9mm however. Do not get caught up in the caliber religion. .45 is my preference, and that is because I have massive amounts of .45 ammo, and access to more in the ever so slight chance I run low.

Here is a pic of my day out with the XDM 9. It was a range rental, and dirty as hell (all others were mine )This target was a full 25 yards away, and shot at using "point shooting". Meaning, if you can see it, and point to it, you can hit it; basically. The rounds were not slowly and systematically put down range, but rather fired either drawn from a holster, or from a cradled position culminating in a double tap. Suffice it to say, it shoots well in deed.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Also, one more thing to consider. Do you have other firearms at home? I cannot remember your inventory. Do you have a shotgun? If so, consider that this weapon for her will be a carry weapon, and when in the home the shotgun is the primary defensive weapon.
Yes, have plenty at home, including shotguns for defense. In fact, two of them.

The pistol is for her to shoot range time, something to stash on her side of the bed, and for her to play with when I go 3 gunning. She would never do a CCW or something like that, at least not at this time.

Quick Reply: Best handgun for the wife?