Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Best handgun for the wife?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Best handgun for the wife?

Good Morning everyone!

Well, I took my wife to the range and she had a blast. She doesnt usually shoot much, but on Saturday, really enjoyed my AR, banging away at some cans at 40 yards, and shooting my 9mm Berretta and a couple of .22's I have.

Now she wants her own 9mm or "handgun" she can shoot (dang, just terrible isnt it? )

So, since I have never even looked at smaller handguns, only full size, what do you think? Glock? HK? I am leaning to HK, if they make a small enough sub-compact? I am going to take her to Bass Pro shops and let her fondle a bunch of them, and see what fits.

Id like to stick to 9MM or at worst .40, but prefer 9. Even a .380 would be ok for her, she has small hands so recoil is a factor.

Let me hear your thoughts oh wise and knowledgable fellow gunners!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Good for you. I would say the same factors in picking a gun for her would as for yourself. What feels most comfortable for her to shoot.

I'm also a big fan of the 9mm Berretta.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
Ruger just came out with a compact 9mm. LCR rather than the .380LCP.

Keltec has a 9mm out now that is small too.

S&W emp light weight is a 1911 style 9mm ... Maybe not a s&w but it is called an emp I know that. N

I do not suggest a walther ppk James bond style gun as it is heavy, with snappy recoil in .380

Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
Ruger sr9 is also a nice shooter. Thin and adjustable grip and backstrap.

Of course the hk and sigs are nice and you cannot really go wrong with them if you like them

Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Let your wife be the one to choose bro. As big a gun geek as I am, my wife needed to make her own choice as to what she would feel comfortable in using in a highly stressful situation.

So when we went to my gun club to choose her piece, the guy kept looking at me because he knew me and my proclivities; and I had to tell him, that it is up to him to work with her as she decides. My only role was to make sure we got a quality weapon, at a fair price.

She ultimately ended up with a .38, 7 round, Taurus featherweight revolver. And what a damn fine choice it was for her. 7 round of .38 +P, from a woman not intimidated by her weapon is a mighty thing. I saw her comfort level with her choice in weapons worlds above her typical display of comfort with any of my weapons.

Just use the excuse to go back to the range. Give her some guidelines on what proper grip and site picture should be, and let her find what she is comfortable with.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
The Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm has changeable grip, and can be set for smaller hands. The full size frame also recoils less than a compact.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I would say a Glock 19. Let her shoot everything at a range you can rent pistols at, and whatever she is most comfortable with, get it.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, see that is why I posted, such a database in thought!

I had not considered a rental range day, good idea. That might take a while, since where we live, nothing closer than 2 hours away for a rental range. But ill see what I can find.

I am not sure she "wants" a revolver, but we will see how and what she likes at BPS's in the next day or two. A revolver might be best for her, since its her personal defense weapon....

Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure you take the HK P2000SK in 9mm V3 (DA/SA) for a test drive, my wife loves hers. She has small hands and the gun fits her perfectly. The DA first pull is not too heavy for her, she doesn't have any problems racking the slide, and she shoots it very very well. It is amazingly accurate for such a small gun, she can manage the recoil just fine and its small enough for purse carry. Every time we go shooting the range guys give me grief about her shooting better then me.

We rented many different pistols before she decided on this one. It was the best balance of ergonomics, size, weight, accuracy, shootability, and of course quality. It shoots very smoothly for its size. The fit, finish and reliability have been 100% perfect. If the SK feels too small for her just go for the standard size P2000, she will love it.

(Not my picture)

Last edited by Brett B; 01-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Listen to choke but I'd say Smith and Wesson 642. .38 special revolver is perfect for most women and it can come with pink grips. Lol

Quick Reply: Best handgun for the wife?