Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

New gun advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
Been busy and haven't been able to make it to a range yet (maybe this weekend) but have been playing with the idea of building an AR. Thoughts?

Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
There are several ways to build them:
  • Buy a complete gun and add on rails, stock, etc.
  • Buy a complete lower and complete upper separately.
  • Buy all the parts individually and put it together to make an AR15.

If you buy a complete rifle, you will have the benefit of a warranty.

Building it yourself would be cheaper.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
As long as we're switching to AR's... if this is your first weapon, as others have said, go shoot as many as you can. This is true with rifle's and pistols. If you have friends or relatives with numerous firearms, ask them to take you out so you can test drive a few. Offer to buy the ammo for the day, and a beer for discussion. There are so many choices to make your head spin, look at the features of each weapon, narrow your choices down, do a bit of research and proceed to checkout

If only it were that easy. Everyone's taste is a bit different, as is everything in life. I actually prefer my .357 DE for accuracy (even though it is a tank); I can hit apples at 40 yards all day. But for convenience, I go with my Kimber 1911 .45. Its just much more reliable. Most people love a glock, which is fine; but for those people. Just doesn't feel right to me; I know I know, how could a company that dominates 65 percent of the US handgun market feel so out of place in my hand? I don't know the answer, it just does. I do prefer the Sig, Springfield, Kimber, etc... You really do just have to shoot as many as you can. You don't want to buy a gun, and never shoot it much because you don't end up liking it. One pistol I have is a Walther; great company, great handgun. I take it out of the safe and shoot it sometimes because I feel sorry for it... meh... pathetic I know

As far as AR's go? As many options as there are grains of sand on the beach. I prefer a build; you not only learn how your rifle is put together, you can tailor it to your needs. Full rails really are nice, but most tend to overload them with grenade launchers, flashlights, laser sight, shotgun lower, scopes that put the Hubble space telescope to shame... I like a fore-grip, bipod and small flashlight. To each his or her own; keep in mind what you will be using it for, and build it to those specs that are best suited for the job. I like Stag Arms (based in Conn.) All of their weapons and accessories are made here in the US. That was a good start with me... The gun is rock solid; I've never had a jamb, etc... just as reliable as can be. In a clinch, I would absolutely trust my Stag over any other weapon without question. I couldn't be happier...

Shoot, shoot, then a bit more... I know I'm just rambling at this point; there's just no end to your options. I wish you the best. (half of the fun for me, is the search for EXACTLY what I want in a firearm)

Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks again guys. I am going to build from the ground up (unless I come across a screamin deal).

So far just from research I've done.

For lowers it looks like these are some of the better options

Stag Arms
Rock River
LWRC (spendy)
POF (For some reason I really like POF, but its a little spendy.)

Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Official TS Crybaby - Forever
Ryan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond repute
Get whatever is most confortable in your hand. lots of good guns out there. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, can go more often.etc

Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the almighty M4 Chart. It compares manufacturers, but it has lots of good information.

Some tidbits off the top of my head for building an AR:
  • Make sure the gas key on the bolt carrier is properly staked
  • Get a chrome lined barrel
  • You can choose between a heavy barrel and an M4 profile barrel
  • Make sure it's chambered in 5.56 so you can shoot 5.56 NATO without it blowing up
  • Get a 1:7 twist barrel so you can shoot heavier bullets
  • Have M4 feedramps
  • If you use a front sight base (instead of a gas block covered by a rail), make sure it's marked as "F."
  • If you use a front sight base, that will limit the length of your rails because it sticks up above the rails. A gas block is short and goes under the rails, and you use front sight that is attached to the rails. Also, if using the FSB, you WILL see the FSB if you use optics. Front sights mounted on the rails can fold down, out of sight.
  • Use a mil-spec buffer tube. The commercial buffer tubes are larger then the mil-spec, then you have to use a "commercial" fit stock instead of mil-spec.
  • If you're building a carbine, consider using an "H" buffer.
  • You can get a regular trigger, or a 2 stage match trigger.
  • There are 3 gas systems: rifle (used on the M16), carbine (used on the M4), and mid-length (not used by the military. It was developed as an in-between for the 16" civilian carbine. The M4 is 14.5")
  • To avoid NFA: barrel must be 16" or longer. Some people get a 14.7" barrel and use a permanently attached (welded) muzzle device to bring the total length up to 16". However, if you muzzle device is not permanently attached, the barrel itself must be 16".
  • If you want something cool, like a short barrel rifle, you're going to have to pay a $200 poll tax and wait forever for the ATF to do a background check on you and approve it.

Last edited by Overtaker; 05-27-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Ive also been looking lately, eventually decided on an HK P2000SK. The Glock 26 felt too simple and industrial to me.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
EricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to beholdEricH is a splendid one to behold
I'd look into Bravo Company USA for AR lowers and uppers as well. They got a great reputation for quality parts and customer service.

Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tsar
Wasn't a fan of the glock when it was in my hand, so I went with an XD. Go out there and try them out.
+1. I preferred the XD subcompact over the Glock 26.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
EVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond repute
I'm gonna agree that Glocks are good guns for the money! You want something higher end go HK or Sig. You want precision .45 get a quality 1911.