Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

You know 997 Turbos? Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009 | 07:02 PM
|
Teamspeed Rookie
cikastef is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile You know 997 Turbos? Please advise

Hey guys,
I am considering a purchase of the 911 Turbo 997 style.
The car is currently in the shop at the Porsche dealer and the owner is telling me there is a gearing problem. He reported a metal scratching sound when he drives slow in the first gear. That's why the car ended up in the shop. When I saw the car, the service was closed and I couldn't get much info, but I saw that the engine is pulled out. The car only has 14.000 mi and is a manual transmission.

What I'd like to know is if any of you know of any gearing issues with 997 turbos?
Secondly, is it common to pull the engine on this car for repairs or does it mean that there is something very wrong?
Do you think the Porsche dealer will be honest with the shape the car is in when I call the service department on Monday?
Also, the car has been in the shop for two months now, is this normal? You'd think they could get the parts from Germany in a week, being a reputable company that they are and being a part of VW.

He also said they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the car for a month.
I want to thank everyone in advance for giving me any information on this topic.
Cheers.

Old 12-22-2009 | 08:50 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
peter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished road
No issue here, owner probably didn't know how to drive a stick. I would pass on this turbo, there plenty of good one out there. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2009 | 09:12 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Pass, many other Turbos around...

Old 12-22-2009 | 09:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
not worth the hassle

Old 12-22-2009 | 09:42 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Pass.

Old 12-22-2009 | 10:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
msindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond reputemsindi has a reputation beyond repute
With regards to pulling the engine out, it is pretty normal to do so when doing most repairs (especially to access the tranny)

Old 12-22-2009 | 11:53 AM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Trans. service typically requires the engine to be pulled - nothing unusual there. As for the go/no-go, if it's a rare color and the dealership will stand behind it, I wouldn't worry. If it's a fairly "standard" car (black/silver, etc.) I'd pass.

Old 12-22-2009 | 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Run Forrest, Run.

Old 01-03-2010 | 03:24 PM
Teamspeed Member
turbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to allturbotronic is a name known to all
Pass.