Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

First Handgun Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
First Handgun Help

I just turned 21 two weeks ago and I'm getting ready to apply for my ccw in CT. Since my dad is big second amendment activist and carries daily he believes that I need to get my permit/gun asap despite me still being in school and not being able to carry on my campus. Anyways, I've been around guns for years (I took the permit class when I was 18) and am very comfortable shooting most calibers, the only one I don't have experience with is a .40.

Now here is where things get confusing. Ideally, I want a .45 with 3-4" barrel that will be relatively easy to conceal with minimal printing since I'm only 5'8 and a full size frame/barrel might be a bit much to hide. I intend to carry cocked and locked and would use a iwb holster since I often need to wear dress clothes for work, etc. I've been looking into the .45 USP compact, the Kimber tactical pro, the Sig p220, and maybe even a glock. Now my father has been pushing me to look into the Bill Wilson carry pistol/cqb compact which meets all of my needs and since he has offered to pay for whatever gun I choose the price isn't the issue. My question for you guys is how practical is it to carry a 1911 daily, especially for a first timer? I'm a bit worried about the Wilson's reliability since it is built to such high tolerances, but the reviews I've read about them seem to say otherwise. Also, is there any other companies/models that I should be considering for my needs?

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm sure I'll be frequenting this section more and more now since I'm going to have a ton of questions.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
miboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond repute
HK USP Compact is a great first choice. My first pistol was a USP Compact 9mm. Love it. It has the manual safety, and decock lever. You can have a round in the chamber, saftey on, and decocked. First trigger pull is longer, but you'll get used to it if you practice at the range.

Especially if price isn't an issue. Go with the HK.

I bought a Galco IWB tuckable holster. I am 5'7" and would never be able to carry a full size.

I also carry a Glock 23 (.40). Trying to work out some kinks, as it has jammed on me about 10 times in the first 300 rds fired. HK has never jammed in 1000+ rds. I do not feel comfortable with the Glock right now. Need to work out the jam, or else it'll be gone, and I'll buy a HK USPC .45.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
First thing is first...
Do not listen to people who tell you what to buy.

Next, go to a range, grip as many pieces as you can, find what feels good in your hand.

Select a few to rent and shoot them.

Make a purchase.

Learn a CORRECT grip.

Have fun, start shooting away money.

Seriously though... You have to make your own choices on this one as to what feels best. Because if it is comfortable, you will get comfortable with it faster.

You can't go wrong with guns from Glock, Sig, Para, HK, to name a few.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
miboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
First thing is first...
Do not listen to people who tell you what to buy.

Next, go to a range, grip as many pieces as you can, find what feels good in your hand.

Select a few to rent and shoot them.

Make a purchase.

Learn a CORRECT grip.

Have fun, start shooting away money.

Seriously though... You have to make your own choices on this one as to what feels best. Because if it is comfortable, you will get comfortable with it faster.

You can't go wrong with guns from Glock, Sig, Para, HK, to name a few.
Ahhh yes...Of course.

You are absolutely correct.

I didn't choose the HK, the HK chose me.

Definitely hold and shoot a bunch of them first. The HK fit in my hand perfectly, and when I first shot it, I knew it was the one!

Always inspect the piece before you buy. Even with the LWRC Group buy, I had to find a store that stocked them just so I could go handle it, and see how it "Fit." After seeing it in person, and holding it, I knew it was the right piece.

So, in the end, it is up to you....

But...buy the HK!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Official TS Crybaby - Forever
Ryan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond repute
I highly recomend you watch this vid.

YouTube - Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy

Old 04-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fjk88
My question for you guys is how practical is it to carry a 1911 daily, especially for a first timer?
Depends on the 1911. Something like a Colt Defender is great. A full frame gun, or even some of the larger governments, are not so much fun.

Remember, a carry weapon is useless sitting in a drawer or on a table when you're running to the corner store in a t-shirt and shorts.

If I had to pick a carry .45 for "goes bang every time", size and weight, it would have to be the Glock 30. (Or 29 if you want a little extra hot sauce at the cost of pricier ammo) Even though I vastly prefer a 1911 frame in every measurable way.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Dear Lord! Is this a trick question? Have your Dad buy you the Bill Wilson Carry Pistol. It may be the finest 4" concealed carry gun in the world anyway . . .

Just do it. No need to ask any questions.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Glock 19 - plentiful ammo, lots of capacity, small without being tiny, 100% reliable. Try one and see if you like it. If so, get it.

1911s are good if you: A) are a larger guy and can hide stuff, B) buy clothes cut to hide guns, C) don't mind people noticing it as in A and B, or D) don't have to worry about concealing it. Considering I ONLY have 1911s now, I use A and B. The Glock would be my next choice...

Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Dear Lord! Is this a trick question? Have your Dad buy you the Bill Wilson Carry Pistol. It may be the finest 4" concealed carry gun in the world anyway . . .

Just do it. No need to ask any questions.
What he said. Only decision is whether you like slim grips or possibly a short trigger if you have small hands. I carry a 3.6" 1911 IWB and have no problems with printing or comfort. Get a top quality holster and belt and you're good to go. I'm 6' 175 lbs and the 1911 just disappears

Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!fjk88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Thanks for all of the responses. Once my finals are finished, I'm planning on going to the range with my father to shoot a variety of brands to see what works best for me. Hopefully its the Wilson because from what I've read, it's the best of the best.