Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

The $700,000 Bugatti Veyron

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy The $700,000 Bugatti Veyron

Bugatti Veyron Buyer Flakes At $700,000 Winning Bid

A 2008 Bugatti Veyron sold on Saturday at a Barrett-Jackson auction for $700,000 — a reasonable price for a 1,001-hp supercar with 12,000 miles. After the hammer fell, the buyer placed a new bid of "just kidding."

The Veyron was the star attraction of the auction, and considering its original $1.4 million asking price, $700,000 seemed like a decent price, despite the outrageous maintenance Veyron ownership demands.

But when Barrett-Jackson went to finalize the sale, the winning bidder pictured below got some expensive cold feet.

"First, he said he didn't bid, then he said he was ‘trying to help,'" auction company chief Craig Jackson said, declining to identify the head faker. "The bottom line is, he said he wouldn't buy it and we booted him." President Steve Davis later held up the buyer's lanyard from the podium, saying "here's all that's left." (That used to mean something else in Vegas.)

Jackson then offered the Veyron back to the underbidders for the same price. When none bit, he bought the car himself for $700,000, and later said he expected one of the phone bidders to step in.

What have we learned? Veyrons may not be holding their value all that well. People in Vegas can exhibit questionable financial judgment. And if you're going to punk a popular car auction, don't do it on live TV.

Lot Detail: 2008 Bugatti Veyron #080
Here's a poorly recorded video of someone's TV screen during the bidding process - unfortunately it doesn't show any of the post gavel drama, but you can see they tried for almost two minutes to find a higher bid than $700K in the room.

YouTube - 2008 Bugatti Veyron sells for cheap-$700,000

I was pretty surprised to hear that values on the Veyron have tanked like this. I don't consider 12,000 miles to be normal, but it's not outrageous either, especially if all the service work has been performed as stated.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 09-29-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
What a loser the fake bidder is. I would never buy a Veyron because of the maintenance cost, but I guess if I could afford a Veyron the maintenance cost wouldn't matter.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
what a noob.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Bidder looks like the kind of idiot who would do such a thing. What a shame and that sucks that Mr Jackson is stuck with a car that he probably won't be able to make any money on.

12K miles seems kind of on the high side compared to what's out there but I never would've expected it to go for less than Enzo money.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
So does this simply "out" the "fact" that there are shell bidders out there upping the prices of some of these auto's artificially?

I was pretty sure you bid, you win, you buy. I had no idea there was an "oopsie daisy" clause at Barrett.

Wilson

Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I would.
That's 423k pounds, cheap enzos are 600 ish here.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Yet I still see people buying this car new!!!!
Crazy

Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond repute
i would think that they vet the people who are allowed to bid on expensive stuff.

technically they can sue the guy who bid and couldn't pay.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
CHEAP as hell if you ask me.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I have no ninterest in a Veyron at any price. Just doesn't do it for me. I'd like to see the same thing happen to F1 and F40 prices. But they seem to be headed the other way unfortunately . . .

Quick Reply: The $700,000 Bugatti Veyron