Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

English Premiere League 2012 Gossip and Transfer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Teamspeed Member
Gilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ludas
Modric is Europe's most overrated player. In Real he would warm the bench for Khedira and Xabi Alonso. Can't believe anyone would pay more than €25m.
Too right, I understand that they wish to offload Kaka for a figure in the region of £40M to AC Milan as it hasn't really worked out for him at Real.

So Spurs being the greedy bastards that they are, want that £40M for Modric I guess.

Christ, I'm starting to despise Spurs more than I do Chelsea.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Teamspeed Member
Gilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond reputeGilmore has a reputation beyond repute
I found this article pretty interesting and accurate.

Originally Posted by The Sunday Times
This is no time to have mileage on the clock, no country for old men. Football is not necessarily a young man’s game but the transfer market is. Chelsea, having bought Eden Hazard and Marko Marin this summer, were recruiting again last week, completing the spectacular acquisition of a £25m Brazilian starlet, Oscar.

Next they want Victor Moses and are close to meeting Wigan’s £10m valuation. Oscar, Marin, Hazard and Moses — should he join — would look like a boy band in the club photos but are earmarked for a serious function. And so they should be, for £74m combined. Aged 21, 20, 23 and 21, this callow quartet are the key to Chelsea’s renewal.

The plan is that, joining Juan Mata, 24, they will spearhead a Chelsea of the future as Roman Abramovich gets ever more hooked on flair-rich, Latin and Spanish-flavoured football in his quest to build Barça at the Bridge. If only he could go back and buy Fernando Torres as he was at 23, instead of the current version.

Chelsea are undergoing a generational change. The fresh forwards (with Romelu Lukaku, 19, and Kevin de Bruyne, 21, in reserve) are expected to replace the grizzled old guard of Florent Malouda, Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou. Similar changes are happening in other areas. At right-back, Abramovich wants Marseilles’ £9m Spaniard, Cesar Azpilicueta, 22, after authorising the release of 29-year-old Jose Bosingwa.

Hazard, Mata and Oscar could become Chelsea’s signature — three tyro No 10s in creative concert feeding balls through to one another or to Torres. Facing Egypt for Brazil’s Olympic side, Oscar excelled. Going by brief sightings, his poise and vision seem prodigious. He was the stand-out when Brazil won last year’s Under-20 World Cup.

Oscar has Kaka’s physique and could become Kaka II. Yet, like all emerging players, there is a chance potential might go unfulfilled. So why didn’t Chelsea just sign Kaka I? After all, Kaka is available and — AC Milan have offered just £10m — could be prised from Real Madrid for far less than £25m.

The reason is the same as Manchester United’s this summer in signing Shinji Kagawa, 23, and Nick Powell, 18. And why Liverpool bought Fabio Borini, 21; why Tottenham recruited Jan Vertonghen, 25, and Gylfi Sigurdsson, 22. It is also why United can’t get more than £5m for Dimitar Berbatov.

Despite Berbatov’s two Premier League titles, 48 international goals and genius streak, he, like Kaka, is in his 30s. Well into his career, he has reached a certain wage level. He will have little resale value, if any, at the end of his next contract. Salary and resale potential explain the mania for youth.

Berbatov earns £110,000 a week. Any club giving him the three-year-deal he wants at 31 will commit about £17m in wages on top of any transfer fee. Kaka, 30, is said to earn £7m net. At British tax rates, even if image rights were used to offset liability, a Premier League club would have to budget on £50m in pay to get Kaka on a four-year deal. His true cost is thus close to £70m whereas Oscar, bundling up fee and wages, is probably £25m cheaper. And Oscar, on a five-year deal,should have high transfer value at the end of his Chelsea stint.

Sao Paulo claim United have offered £26m for Lucas Moura. It seems a lot for a 19-year-old not in Brazil’s Olympic starting XI but United made the world record profit on any player by acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo for £12.24m at 18 and selling him for £80m when he was 24. Ronaldo’s initial wages at United were less than £20,000 a week.

The wages-plus-resale equation is even more important with Uefa’s financial fair play regulations in force from 2014-15. The measures are a nightmare for Manchester City with regard to Emmanuel Adebayor. So keen are City to sell that they are offering to subsidise his pay so he can remain on the same £175,000 a week he currently earns during the first two years of a proposed four-year contract at Tottenham.

Adebayor, though, wants more money from Spurs over the final two years of the deal. Given he is 28 and will have little resale value, City want just £5m for him but even price-cutting can’t close the deal. City’s manager, Roberto Mancini is angry efforts to sign Arsenal striker Robin van Persie are not more strenuous but Brian Marwood, football director, won’t buy while Adebayor, Edin Dzeko and Roque Santa Cruz are on the books.

It’s not only the biggest English clubs who now focus on young signings. Aston Villa, Wigan, Swansea, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton and West Brom prefer the youthful end of the market. An audit of all Premier League signings over the past two summers reveals the shift. Since the current window opened, £143m has been spent on players 25 or younger, 88% of the total outlay. That’s a startling increase on last summer, when 63% of an overall £456.3m transfer outlay was on players in that bracket.

Economics apart, younger players are attractive when managers are rebuilding teams because they can be moulded. One irony is that fees for senior players have diminished when veterans are playing longer. AC Milan gave Andrea Pirlo to Juventus for nothing in 2011. A victorious Serie A campaign, then Euro 2012, demonstrated he was not exactly past it.

Even with wages included, there are bargains in the “older player” market: QPR getting Park Ji-Sung for £2m stands out. You can overpay for potential, as Liverpool are finding as they face a £15m-plus loss on Andy Carroll, but overpaying for a senior player is even worse. Stewart Downing, the most recent £20m signing of a Premier League player aged over 25, is said to have a four-year-contract worth £70,000 a week. That £34.5m is quite a package for an attacker with limited resale value and who, last season, managed no goals and whose only assist, said some critics, was in helping Kenny Dalglish get the sack.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Lumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully with all these signings chelsea will do well next season

Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Teamspeed Member
I think Abramovich is doing the right thing now, bring in younger talent, that are proven talent, yes you're gonna pay big money for them but they're a much better investment long term.

City are just repeating what Chelsea used to do, buying the big name players that have arguably either reached their peak or are very close. Football players aren't like a good wine, they don't really get better with age, well, there's a few exceptions like Pirlo for example but they're rare indeed.

Deep down, I hope that Liverpool go back to their roots and start to really focus on grass roots development. All of our very best players have always come through the youth team, home grown, Liverpool through and through. I'm talking Gerrard, Carragher, Owen, etc from the recent years. Unfortunately, that takes time and commitment and the owners and the majority of fans want everything right now. I'd happily sacrifice a few years of mediocre performance to then have a home grown, tightly knit, championship contending team. I think I'm in the minority though!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Chelsea is going to be a force in the next few seasons, assuming the managerial merry-go-round has stopped for a while. I just hope United have some tricks up their flabby, ginger sleeves... SAF might be forced into overdoing the tipple again. I'll have weekly "SAF Broken Nose Capillary" sightings.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really hoping Dimateo gets a fair shake, he has been a class act since taking over

Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Well with the team they're putting together, he has no room for excuses. The tsar will demand victory. I don't think "fair shake" is in the cards...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using teamspeed

Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Wilshere won't be back until earliest october. He still has some issues apparently So sad, not just because he is a Gunner but because he's so incredibly talented and it's a loss for the entire football world.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Oh noooees, Real has actually bought Modric now rumours are saying. Whyyyy? If Mourinho puts Khedira on the bench I'm gonna be pissed. The only good thing that could come out of that would be if Khedira left for Bayern Munich or Dortmund.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I hope United gets Lucas Moura... He's like Obi Wan Kenobi:

Quick Reply: English Premiere League 2012 Gossip and Transfer Thread