Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Official UFC Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 PM
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
I like this alot...THE REEM ftw!!!

Strikeforce's Overeem and Werdum hope grand-prix title leads to UFC title shot

Strikeforce's Overeem and Werdum hope grand-prix title leads to UFC title shot | MMAjunkie.com

With one crossover fight between a UFC champ and Strikeforce champ now in the books, it's not unreasonable to wonder what's in store for the champions of other weight divisions.

And with the second round of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix around the corner – a tournament that several of its participants have previously said will crown the No. 1 heavyweight in the world – it's not a stretch to imagine the winner presenting a good case for another crossover.

Although Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (34-11 MMA, 3-0 SF) and Fabricio Werdum (14-4-1 MMA, 3-0 SF) are focused on fighting each other in the quarterfinals of the tournament, they share the hope that winning the competition will open the door to a bout with current UFC heavyweight kingpin Cain Velasquez.

"If I would win the tournament, I personally – and I believe many fans with me – would love to see the [winner] of the tournament against the UFC champion, Cain Velasquez," Overeem told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) today during a conference call in support of "Strikeforce: Overeem vs Werdum," which takes place June 18 at American Airlines Center in Dallas. The event's main card airs live on Showtime, and the preliminary card airs on HDNet.

Werdum's ultimate hope is to unify the Strikeforce and UFC titles.

"I think it's going to be very good to participate in this huge event that is UFC," an English-speaking Werdum said. "I want to be the champ of this grand prix, and after that, (I want to) defeat the champ of the UFC."

But it's a big stretch for both to set that scenario at this moment. There's a rematch to attend to, and pride is on the line. Werdum defeated Overeem under the PRIDE banner in 2006, and Overeem wants to prove the loss was the result of overtraining, a bad mind set and a chaotic camp. Werdum, of course, wants to show the world that he was good enough then to beat Overeem and is good enough now.

Five years have passed since they first met, and their careers have both taken twists and turns. So while there are added incentives to next Saturday's fight, it's almost a different animal altogether.

"Yes I do and no I don't," Overeem said when asked whether his previous loss is still on his mind. "I have a lot of motivation, believe me. But I'm just happy. I'm happy this fight is happening. I've wanted to fight Fabricio – then the tournament came around ... an excellent opportunity for me. You're going to see next week how motivated I am.

"This fight is going to be different than the last time. You're going to see a way more aggressive Alistair Overeem, and I'll be looking for the knockout from the first second."

For his part, Werdum thinks the time is right – literally – for a win.

"June is my month because I beat Fedor (Emelianenko), too," he said, referring to his shocking upset win over Emelianenko this past June in Strikeforce. "And I'm excited for this fight. I'm training a lot. Just you wait for this fight."

The winner of next Saturday's bout will face off with Antonio Silva, who defeated Emelianenko this past February for a semifinal spot in the tournament. Some MMA observers have said Overeem and Werdum's bracket is the more difficult one of the eight-man, single-elimination competition, but Overeem said the it's a tough road any way you go.

"I like the challenges that lie in front of me, and you're going to face the strongest guy anyway," he said. "I never complain about a fight. I'm a fighter. It's what I do for a living. I've trained very hard for this fight, as well as I do for my next fight.

"I'm ready to go. I was ready three weeks ago."

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he hopes to wrap the tournament up by the end of 2011, after which it's unclear what lies in the future for the promotion's heavyweight division. Overeem's belt is not on the line; a tournament champion will be crowned.

If he loses, however, Overeem could meet the tournament winner in a title bout. That's not a stretch, but following the promotion's sale to Zuffa, the future is up in the air.

For Overeem and Werdum, the task at hand is clear. But they would be lying if they said they didn't care if a UFC title shot is waiting for them at year's end. UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz are set to collide at UFC 137. Could that bout be a preview of coming attractions?

"I'm just focused on this fight, and I don't know what exactly is happening behind the scenes," Overeem said. "I heard about the GSP and Diaz fight, but that fight has no relevance to my situation."

Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
BRB, ordering UFC Trainer

Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by MC321
BRB, ordering UFC Trainer
what about RUSHFIT by GSP ???

Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by McRae
what about RUSHFIT by GSP ???
Sounds gay

Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by MC321
Sounds gay
ya...i love gsp and all..but wow its got ghey written all over it lol

Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 AM
get yo picks in!!!

* Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

* Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Mark Muñoz

* Heavyweight bout: Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman

* Featherweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes

* Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin

Quick Reply: The Official UFC Thread!