Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Official UFC Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
esthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond repute
*Not to bring back too old of a discussion, its on the same page for me at 40 posts per page*

But what are some of you guys expecting Jones to have done, carefully held on to Machida and helped him down eloquently onto the mat? Puh...lease. This is just my opinion but I doubt that will be happening any time soon in MMA. Fans would crucify someone for doing so even more than they will belittle a fighter for dropping him in the way Jones did.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by esthetique
*Not to bring back too old of a discussion, its on the same page for me at 40 posts per page*

But what are some of you guys expecting Jones to have done, carefully held on to Machida and helped him down eloquently onto the mat? Puh...lease. This is just my opinion but I doubt that will be happening any time soon in MMA. Fans would crucify someone for doing so even more than they will belittle a fighter for dropping him in the way Jones did.
Definitely not, but imo there was a clear motion of him tossing Machidas limp body to the mat...Jones admitted he knew he was OUTCOLD...just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth...No need to settle him down gentle like but still...I admit I dislike Jones, im gonna look at his actions with quite the critical eye more often then not.

and...40 posts per page??? damn... lol

Old 12-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C Money
does anyone have a link to the fight? I missed it unfortunately
This is just the Jones/Machida bout and not very good quality, but check it out: Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida

Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute

No question, you're right. Controlling Machida's body would've been unexpected, urealistic and to many, wrong. When ref's call a break, you break, simple as that. And it's not Jones' responsibility to look out for the safety of Machida, that's Big John's job.

Still, knowing Machida was out cold, had he released the tension and given a little descent control to avoid just dropping him like a rock, or had he stalled Machida just a bit so Big John could grab him as he was attempting to, critics would've had a much different reaction. The critics aren't just ignorant fans and detached journos, they're coaches and fighters too. Part of the issue here is the lack of trad'l MA background in many of the fighters. They're not taught to respect the opponent. You show me a wrestler or boxer who's taught respect like a trad'l MA guy, and that's a rare one. Are critics asking too much of the fighters, and are they hypocritical? I'd say, yes. Is it important to realize that respect and empathy is valued in the sport, and will this value facilitate potential knowledge growth in current competitors and young ones coming up? I'd say yes here too, it could, or should hopefully.

This was a split-second situation, so we can't really look deeply into it. And Jones was fighting, defending his belt, his body and had tremendous pressure to perform. When BJM said "let go", he let go of his choke, all of that pressure, and walked away. The stressful situation was over, now he could breathe. He's a fighter in a brutal form of sport, and he got the job done. The condition of the opponent, not his problem or concern. Greg Jackson yelled to him to make sure he went back and checked on Machida, because even though Jones didn't care, the fans do care, and Jones needs to put on a front that he's not brutal and uncaring, he's got big heart inside, someone the fans can love. Jackson was smart to react quickly and guide his student. Got to make sure to cover all the bases, Jon's a professional and has to make sure he makes all the right moves. Even if they're feigning empathy.

You're right, the critics are off-base. But just as we won't see fighters helping others to land safely when they're unconscious any time soon, nor will we see fans and coaches losing empathy and care for fighters. I think this is all a healthy thing, good controversy, good debate, good points which further define what this relatively young sport is about.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
esthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond repute
I got no response to that. Well said. Rep.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping he would tuck him in and read him a bedtime story

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 AM
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by All We'll Drive
I was hoping he would tuck him in and read him a bedtime story
Or maybe give him an Ortiz kiss?

Quick Reply: The Official UFC Thread!