Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Patrick Vieira completes his move to Manchester City

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
Patrick Vieira completes his move to Manchester City

Viera must be about 50 by now.

Manchester City have completed the signing of France midfielder Patrick Vieira from Inter Milan.

The 33-year-old passed a medical on Thursday and has signed a six-month contract at Eastlands with the option of a further year.

Vieira becomes Mancini's first signing since he became City boss in December.

Mancini told City's website: "Patrick is a world class midfielder with a winner's mentality and will fit into this group very well."

The Italian has already signed Vieira once, for Inter in 2006, and feels feels he can still make an impact in the Premier League.

"He knows me and my staff well, and importantly he also knows what the Premier League is all about," Mancini explained. "He will not need much time to settle in.

"Patrick is one of the great players of his era with every almost every honour in the game against his name. I am sure City fans will welcome him warmly and appreciate the contribution he will make."

Vieira brought his first spell in English football to an end when he left Arsenal for Juventus in the summer of 2005 after nine years at the London club.

He joined Juventus for £13.7m but spent only one season in Turin before Mancini signed him for Inter, where he won two Serie A titles under the Italian in 2007 and 2008.

Vieira won a third successive Scudetto last term but has made only 16 appearances in all competitions this time round - with most of those coming as a substitute.

Speaking to French television, he confirmed he ended his four-and-a-half-year stay in Italy to help his bid to win a place in the France squad for the 2010 World Cup proved the decisive factor.

The 6ft 3in central-midfielder earned the last of his 107 international caps in a friendly against Nigeria in August but his last competitive appearance came in September 2007 during a European Championship qualifier against Scotland.

Vieira led Arsenal to 2005 FA Cup final glory in his final game for the Gunners
"It's over, after a year in Turin and three-and-a-half years in Milan," said Vieira, who helped France win the 1998 World Cup and 2000 European Championship. "I wanted to go to the World Cup and I need playing time.

"I have objectives and I can't achieve them by staying at Inter where I am not part of the coach's choice.

"What's important for me is to go to Manchester City, to show the coach that I am the same as I was during the period when he was at Inter. All this will help me get into the France team."

Inter boss Jose Mourinho opened the way for Vieira to return to English football after Inter's 1-0 victory over Chievo on Wednesday.

The Frenchman played 90 minutes and gave an impressive display as the Nerazzurri maintained their eight-point lead at the top of Serie A.

"I should give a special mention to Vieira, who certainly played his last game with us," said Mourinho.

"I will miss him but I don't have the right to demand anything from a club who has done so much for me.

"He had an impeccable game [against Chievo]. It was the perfect farewell to us, and I want to wish him all the best for his new career."

Vieira is best remembered for his career in north London, where he made more than 400 appearances for Arsenal, winning three league titles and four FA Cups.

His last game in English football was the 2005 FA Cup final, in which he scored the winning penalty for Arsenal to beat Manchester United.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
His age and lack of pace should get exposed pretty quickly. Besides that I don't see where he'll get the desired playing time at City.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Teamspeed Member
andy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura aboutandy102 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Alex
His age and lack of pace should get exposed pretty quickly. Besides that I don't see where he'll get the desired playing time at City.
Thats a unknown if ever there was one. He could look very average or worse.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
I think he's just a makeshift player until the summer, when the transfer market really starts buzzing and better players become available.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
U-N-I, T-E-D, United are the team for me...

Man City will always be second-best (maybe third if Wigan get their shit together).

Old 01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
United weren't so hot today, and Arsenal too.

Time for my boys to make their move.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
City just loves our sloppy seconds, don't they Chris?

(in this case, 3rds or 4ths)

Old 01-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by All We'll Drive
United weren't so hot today, and Arsenal too.

Time for my boys to make their move.
Not if it doesn't stop snowing

Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Yeah, I was looking forward to watching the game and then it got cancelled.