Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Gym/Work-out

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
^^No offense, but I can already tell that you are not training for proportion. This is based on your exercise routine and some of the isolation exercises you are doing. Just my opinion.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
Strebbie, I'm really curious to hear about the results so far.

I went 4 days a week for about 4 months last year (with a PT) but I barely noticed anything, so I didn't bother to go anymore.
The most important thing is to eat right. I try to eat a shitload of food every day so that I can transform (most of it) into muscles. Not McD or kebab but regular home cooked food like rice and chicken. The results so far have been great, I've gained around 10kg in weight and last week I benched 100kg. When I started I think I benched barely 70 or something. I know this isn't anything near some of the guys around here but I'm happy with my progress and feel a lot healthier and good about myself.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TUUNER
^^No offense, but I can already tell that you are not training for proportion. This is based on your exercise routine and some of the isolation exercises you are doing. Just my opinion.
None taken . I started with this "program" since I've got friends that have used this kind of program for quite some time and they've seen great progress. I know there's a lot of different routines but I feel that for my needs/goals this is working really well for me.

Do you mind giving me some pointers on what I need to change? I'm always up for positive criticism and/or ways to make it more efficient.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo

Atm I'm not doing squats but I've planned on starting with legs in april.
Any particular reason you are not doing them (legs) right now? (injury?)

Or are you just training "show" muscles? Chest, tri/bi, traps?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Nutcrusher
Originally Posted by Tsar
Any particular reason you are not doing them (legs) right now? (injury?)

Or are you just training "show" muscles? Chest, tri/bi, traps?
I've always been active in team sports involving a lot of leg training and running so I've never felt that my legs needed more exercise then they got. Add to that that Ive always had a skinny upper body so I felt that I needed to add some muscle to my upper body. Now that my upper body have catch-up with my legs I'm going to pick up the legs and make it an all-round workout.

Last edited by strebo; 03-10-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Edit: Skinny upper body.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tsar
6 days per week? You don't feel like you are over training a bit? Or are you just not training hard enough?

Please, do not forget squats like some other people at the gym!
Beat me to it!

That is WAY too much! I bet you'll see better results if you cut it back, and increase your intensity over 3 days.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo
I've always been active in team sports involving a lot of leg training and running so I've never felt that my legs needed more exercise then they got. Add to that that Ive always been skinny so I felt that I needed to add some muscle to my upper body. Now that my upper body have catch-up with my legs I'm going to pick up the legs and make it an all-round workout.

Skinny, and you've NOT worked legs?
You must work legs for over all body mass, and that is simply because squats affect your entire body. Nothing adds mass like squats and deads!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
Dude work the legs in now... not only will it help your body to build muscle all around but it will give your upper body some extra time to recover making those workouts more effective.

I'm on a 5 day a week split right now but only because I only have about 40-45 minutes a day at the gym and need an extra day to fill in some gaps in my workout.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I would suggest a more "functional" routine that includes basic Olympic lifts: clean pull, high clean pull, deadlift, romanian deadlift, squat, pull up, dip, push press, (eventually working up to power cleans), etc. It is best to start with these types of lifts because they develop the "base" of muscle. They also train your body to be very proportional. Likewise, they are fantastic for strengthening your core muscles, which is critical. I like to tell people that they should shoot for an athletic look: think wide receiver, running back, or defensive back (american football).

Tsar referenced "show" muscles above and he is right because that is what most end up training. If you are just starting out, I would not recommend isolation exercises like triceps push downs, etc. The fact that you are leaving out legs is a huge sign. Your core muscles are probably very weak. Weak core muscles, weak legs, and disproportionate upper body muscles are a sure bet for injury.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Nutcrusher
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Skinny, and you've NOT worked legs?
You must work legs for over all body mass, and that is simply because squats affect your entire body. Nothing adds mass like squats and deads!
My bad, I meant skinny upper body. Always have had leg muscles.

Quick Reply: Gym/Work-out