Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Gym/Work-out

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:25 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
This is what I've been doing for the past couple of months. It is a variation on ole Vince Gironda's "honest workout". And it'll damn sure keep you honest if you're strict.

The volume seems like a lot; but when you consider that it is insanely intense and that you're done in 30 minutes, it isn't that much. I've started feeling like I could do more, and thats the actual trap.

Here is the most recent iteration that I've been going off of.

8 sets of 8 reps, 20 - 30 seconds rest, 60% of 1 rep max on weight. Never to failure. Drop weight if you hit failure in a set. Done strictly, this'll give you cardio too.

Chest/Biceps
Chest - variation 1
Dips 8 8 20 seconds
Incline Bench 8 8 20 seconds
Decline Bench 8 20 seconds

Chest - variation 2
Incline Bench 8 8 20 seconds
Decline Bench 8 8 20 seconds
DB Flys 8 8 20 seconds

Shoulders
Seated Mil Press 8 8 20 seconds
Lateral Raises 8 8 20 seconds

Biceps
EZ Bar curls 8 8 20 seconds
Concentration Curls 8 8 20 seconds

Back/Triceps
Back variation 1
Pull ups 8 8 30 seconds
Lat Pull Downs 8 8 20 seconds
Seated Rows 8 8 20 seconds
Hyperextentions 8 8 20 seconds

Back variation 2
Deadlifts 10 10 1 minute
T Bar row 8 8 30 seconds
Lat Pull Downs 8 8 20 seconds
Hyperextentions 8 8 20 seconds

Triceps
French Press 8 8 20 seconds
Cable Pushdowns 8 8 20 seconds
Close Grip Bench 8 8 20 seconds

Legs
Leg variation 1
Squats 8 8 30 seconds
Leg Extentions 8 8 20 seconds
Ham curls 8 8 20 seconds
Adductor 8 8 20 seconds
Abductor 8 8 20 seconds
seated calf 8 8 30 seconds
standing calf 8 8 30 seconds

Leg variation 2
Walking lunges 4 For time: 2 minutes each set
Hack Squat 8 8 30 seconds
Ham curls 8 8 20 seconds
Adductor 8 8 20 seconds
Abductor 8 8 20 seconds
seated calf 8 8 30 seconds
standing calf 8 8 30 seconds

Now... I've added a couple tweaks that deviate a bit from most of what I've read about the Gironda stuff. Those being that I've added biceps to chest (old MMA training hold over, push pull thing). Which also means I've put triceps on back day.

The other deviation is the 10 x 10 deads. I have no logic or reasoning behind this other than I enjoy deads.

The other thing that I've left out is that I've stopped training legs! They've exploded to the point that my wife told me one day that I just have to stop training legs. They've gotten thick enough that they started to make me look shorter, and I'm 6'1". That and my pants are tight as hell in the thighs, not good because you guys know that damn suits are expensive to alter. My legs are very sensitive to training, if I had to pick a genetic gift, it would be legs.

Shit works, period.

You get in, BUST YOUR ASS, and you're done. Lots of intensity. I'm jealous of my wife, she now has a X-mas tree on her back from two months of this.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Cool thread guys. I'm constantly tweaking my workout approach and love hearing new ideas.

Recently, I've been putting more concentration on legs and the intensity of my lifting. I love doing dips, pull ups/chin ups, pushups (in all their variations), and when you combine that with proper intensity, it really helps. I need to be consistently honest about keeping a good leg cycle (sprints, running, and squats) and I think this will help even more.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
^^And cut out the intense drinking...empty calories FTL!!!