Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Carrera 2 : Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
A/C will be weak, and probably prone to leaking as well. The 95's had/have an issue with carbon fouling in the intake. I would do some more research on the issue prior to purchase.

Having daily driven a 964 c4 for 7 years, a 993 can be daily driven as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

95 are some of the least desirable 993's, but a 95 is better than no 993 in the garage.

Being a c2 you have no worries about front diffs and center diffs... That's a plus.

This Will have to be a decision based on want, with a current garage full you don't need the car, but your garage will want you to have it.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
Have the paint metered as well. Guards red has no clear coat and the sun plays havoc on an ill maintained paintjob.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
barebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond repute
I don't DD one; but one my neighbors on our lake runs his over cottage roads everyday and always has a huge smile on his face....

Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
YES! DO IT!

A little encouragement...buddy picked up this beauty a couple months ago:

Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KristofD10
Why would you want it as a DD if you already have some other (maybe more comfortable) cars?
good question. what i actually meant is that i want to DRIVE it and not make it a garage queen. i need to know if it is suitable for that.

Originally Posted by Yonder
A/C will be weak, and probably prone to leaking as well. The 95's had/have an issue with carbon fouling in the intake. I would do some more research on the issue prior to purchase.
Having daily driven a 964 c4 for 7 years, a 993 can be daily driven as long as you keep up with the maintenance.
95 are some of the least desirable 993's, but a 95 is better than no 993 in the garage.
Being a c2 you have no worries about front diffs and center diffs... That's a plus.
This Will have to be a decision based on want, with a current garage full you don't need the car, but your garage will want you to have it.
Have the paint metered as well. Guards red has no clear coat and the sun plays havoc on an ill maintained paintjob.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU KIND SIR
1. excellent point with the AC, i will definitely keep that in mind and ask about it at the dealer
2. i do plan to keep up with maintenance, as i always do with my cars, BUT i need to LEARN about the car first and wish to know about its mechanics. i LOVE the 90s cars because of the transition and excellent proportion between computer and hardware. unlike the more recent cars.
3. the paintjob is new, and yes i will be definitely checking the paint BUT i am more interested in the chassis and susp along with tranny and engine mounts and what not

Originally Posted by barebones
I don't DD one; but one my neighbors on our lake runs his over cottage roads everyday and always has a huge smile on his face....
i've been driving it for the past 2hrs, smile on my face still.

Originally Posted by PorscheAudi
YES! DO IT!
A little encouragement...buddy picked up this beauty a couple months ago:
SWEET COLOUR. is that a 1995 c2 as well?
got more specs/pics? what other cars does he drive?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boursachi
1. this car is until now unneeded, of course. so i wish to know: CAN it be driven as a daily? mind you, i am comparing it here with a 1993 R129 SL600
i've driven it tonight, and yes i think i can drive it the way i intend to. no heating problems, and as a 1995 german car i don't see where the problems can rain in from IF i make sure of the condition + keep up with maintenance <- v imp for me to know about costs of majors at dealer as well + parts availability

2. so, what are the differences between the 95 C2 and the 97-98 C2S, please?
i know the C2S = widebody, i mean engine/tranny/etc
anyone care to fill me in here?
more power in the C2S? one more gear (5 gears in C2S, 4 gears in `95 c2?)
please advize

3. the car in question is already fully refurbished on the inside....cannot remember if it had the turbo (s?) turn signal/foglight <- can those be fitted on a 1995 c2?
a. so, did any 993 come with a xenon kit? would that kit/headlights be a direct fit on a 1995 c2? kindly advize (i care because i wish to know about electric wiring here)

b. rephrase: can the following foglights be installed on a 1995 c2 with turbo bumper?

*i am referring to the ones next to the side markers (clear/white in pic)*
4. what are the differences between the 93-95 and the 96+ engines?
anyone? power only?

5. aesthetically, can a C2 (narrow) be fitted with a whaletale? would it look right or extremely noticeable? pics please if doable
i still want to know, but i care less now.

to help you guys stay interested and help me answer the questions above (PLEASE), here are some teaser pics

Attached Images     
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Car is sick and for 29k it's a NO-brainer.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yo F! thx, on the fone sorry but plz everyone keep in mind

THOSE CARS ARENT PRISTINE AND PERFECT OVER HERE

car def needs work, which is sthg ill be discussing in a few hrs after prayers and put baby to sleep

for time being, qs?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond repute
Buy it, and drive it in the best of health!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
okay guys here is the deal, drove the car for about an hr or so of street time

1. BRAKING SYSTEM
note: brakes hold fine, nice feel to the pedal
HOWEVER, when i picked it up, the Anti-Lock (cant be anything but ABS, wasnt it called that back in the day? lol) light came on along with a mysterious ABD; googled and it's: Automatic Braking Differential, i'm guessing a sort of Traction control. along with those 2, the Discs sign lights up as well. stayed on all the while (alone, and the other 2 come on but when you restart the car they go away. Disc sign stays on)
Verdict: braking system needs to be checked. either faulty signals, or actual hardware (abs pump?). pads/discs may need changing (pads, definitely why not? discs, not so excited)
on the Corvette C5, i have the same thing happen: ABS and Traction lights come on whenever i hit a bumpy road.
my logic: if i can handle a vette, i can handle a 993 w/o trac/abs.

that said, i don't care about the ABS/ABD, only care for discs/pads condition (then again, this is wear and tear stuff)

2. Gearbox

the car is a 4 spd and changes nicely without a kick or anything. same for putting it into R or D. no kicks, no major stuff.
HOWEVER, when i throw the lever into "M" for the tiptronic, nothing happens

this means: on the dash, there is the P,R,N,D,3,2,1 on the right.
while there is the "4,3,2,1" on the left.
when i put the lever in M to shift manually, the red light does NOT move from the right to the left, to indicate that Tiptronic gear changes is available

not sure how this works but, if it's changing gears fine in Auto, then this could be a sensor? or something in the gearbox? faulty connection?

verdict: again, no care for tip (don't use it on any of my cars)
my logic: hell if i don't care!! i NEED to know what this is about

3. IGNITION
car has not run in a while. if let for more than 30 mins, it will require more than one attempt. you can hear the engine choke, so def not a battery issue.
could be spark plugs? fuel pump? not something to overlook so lightly. again, it's expected of a 16yo car but still, very important to root the problem to something basic

4. ELECTRIC GLITCHES
a. love the fact that seats are electric, work fine
b. driver side mirror works fine in 4 directions, passenger side mirror's wires needs to be checked because it won't go left. (will be pushed without any noises with one finger), if not wires, could be the base for the mirror. not a huge deal, just a note.
c. no light comes on when doors open. cannot find switch for lights in the car?
d. this is the only thing that i actually care for at the moment: huge exclamation mark is always on. not handbrake (works fine, tried it on a slope + Neutral). but it is a large exclamation at the top of the dash screen + lights red on the console. what is this

1st pic: sorry for the quality but this is a shot of all lights on together (ABD, ABS, Discs, Exclamation)

2nd pic: the top highlighted button is the one which i cannot seem to understand. the button is always on, and i am guessing it is related to the exclamation on the dash.
cannot be turned off by pressing it.
also note the tiptronic slot on the lever, light on dash + transmission would not recognize that it went into this mode

also highlighted is the rear spoiler switch, right? it does not lift up when i press it, so not sure if that's just a fuse issue or more (not imp imho unless it means something else is up)

3rd pic: highlighted in box is the gear light i am referring to on the dash. it is on D here, and the red light should switch to the right to navigate 4,3,2,1 gears with lever/steering wheel.
does not happen

4th pic: shows the Exclamation mark on the dash (it is on) along with the Discs sign.
engine bay temp (on the left) seems fine, does not over heat.

but is the engine oil pressure supposed to be maxed at 5?

this is what matters
other tidbits since this has come to be a review of how bad the car is
a. doors need alignment, they swing and do not 'hold'
b. odometer not working (still at 72,711 miles) but the engine has been done + nothing to do about it now
c. AC works fine, but to be controlled by temperature only. the Levels (0,1,2,3,4) makes no difference and needs to be toned

Attached Images     

Last edited by boursachi; 08-25-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 1995 Carrera 2 : Should I?