Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

2012 Formula 1 Official European GP Banter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Just watched it this afternoon since I had to DVR it. Awesome race! Kudos to Alonso for winning in his home country but I have to wonder if he'd have been able to do so if Vettel hadn't blown up the car (still curious what exactly went wrong so suddenly) or Hamilton's terrible pit stop.

Still, it's a good day to be a Ferrari fan and a Spaniard.

I really enjoyed seeing Kimi and Schumacher on the podium as well. It's been a looooong time since all 3 of them had shared the podium!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura aboutThe Yank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Just watched it this afternoon since I had to DVR it. Awesome race! Kudos to Alonso for winning in his home country but I have to wonder if he'd have been able to do so if Vettel hadn't blown up the car (still curious what exactly went wrong so suddenly) or Hamilton's terrible pit stop.

Still, it's a good day to be a Ferrari fan and a Spaniard.

I really enjoyed seeing Kimi and Schumacher on the podium as well. It's been a looooong time since all 3 of them had shared the podium!
it's not just vettel, hamilton and maldanado were in front of alonso as well. who also crashed out.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Yank
it's not just vettel, hamilton and maldanado were in front of alonso as well. who also crashed out.
Huh? Maldonado wasn't crashed out, he was passed and overtaken by the rest of the leaders before his incident with Hamilton with 2-3 laps left in the race.

And no, if Vettel didn't have a mechanical failure with his car, he would've most likely walked away with an easy victory. But we'll never know, that's racing...really pointless arguing hypotheticals when things have already past and unraveled.

Alonso's win, as well as Schumi's podium and Webber's climb up the grid was spectacular not because of the demise of Grosjean, Vettel or Hamilton; it's because they climbed back up from the back of the grid...Alonso starting at P11, but by the first lap was up to P8, Schumi starting from P12 and finishing in his first podium since his return and Webber all the way back from P19 to finish 4th.

It was the best race of the season at a track which is usually the most boring and where there is barely any overtaking.

Last edited by alwin; 06-24-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alwin
It was the best race of the season at a track which is usually the most boring and with barely any overtaking
and I guess that`s one of the points the Yank was trying to say..

if the others won`t make mistakes it`s rather hard to make huge jumps forwards there

they had to react quick to any possibility to get through,..be it blocking tires,being off the line or whatever

Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
and I guess that`s one of the points the Yank was trying to say..

if the others won`t make mistakes it`s rather hard to make huge jumps forwards there

they had to react quick to any possibility to get through,..be it blocking tires,being off the line or whatever
Oh, I thought he was insinuating that the demise of Grosjean, Vettel & Maldonado paved the way for the rest which is very untrue. They are but 3 cars near the top, Webber alone made up 15 positions from nowhere near the top cars lol and Alo was already past Grosjean & Maldonado far before their retirement.

You should've seen all the overtaking moves going on up and down the grid, they really made the race. And if I had to pin point one dramatic turning point it had to be the safety from further down the grid as a result of the Vergne & Kovalainen incident not the demise of Gro, Vettel or Maldonado.

The attacks Alonso made up the grid from P11 were crazy...I swear he was going to banzai crash schumi-senna style into someone by coming in so hot on all those corners and braking so late. His wide turn on the restart behind Grosjean and the safety car was epic genius.

Kimi was on a mission too, watching him overtake from Sky Race Control was insane!