Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Maldonado No "Pay Driver" Says Williams' Parr

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Maldonado No "Pay Driver" Says Williams' Parr

THE FACTS

Although Nico Hulkenberg had a strong first season in Formula 1 - which included a pole position in Brazil - he has been replaced on the Williams team in 2011 by Venezuelan rookie Pastor Maldonado. Pastor won the GP2 feeder series championship in 2010. Due to the powerful financial interests that back Maldonado - however - some have suggested that his seat for 2011 was purchased for him and that he is not the best man for the job.

Williams chairman Adam Parr has strongly dismissed such claims. Talking to the Spanish press, Parr said that any suggestion that Maldonado is a pay driver is "repulsive and irrelevant." The British team boss insisted that Williams has "never sat a driver in our car who we did not think was ready for F1, deserved to be in F1 and was capable of delivering" and that Maldonado is considered a "great talent" - and not just by those at Williams. In defense of his rookie driver, Parr stated that "we work with an independent driver coach and he believes that, in terms of pure speed and talent, Pastor has as much capacity as the two Nicos (Hulkenberg and Rosberg)."

More importantly, Parr has insisted that Williams is committed to Maldonado long-term. "We do not see it as a one-year agreement but a long-term investment," he said. "If you have a young talented driver, it is a promise for the future, and if he also has sponsors, all the better." As a final salvo, Parr claimed that "money is irrelevant," and noted that "Fernando Alonso's sponsor (Santander) is the biggest in F1."

As for Hulkenberg, Parr has high hopes for the German and suggested that there may be a place for him at Williams in the future. "I would like to see him with Williams again" Parr said, "He has the dedication and the passion to be a great driver and I was so impressed with his maturity and professionalism." Parr also stated that he hopes to maintain a relationship with Hulkenberg despite the fact that there is no room for him on the Williams team.

MY TAKE

When they both raced in GP2, Hulkenberg absolutely dominated Maldonado making him the clear choice to be elevated to the F1 squad. Then Hulkenberg showed a considerable amount of maturity, passion and grit in his rookie season. Personally, I was shocked when I heard that he was being released and immediately thought that Williams must have found a driver with better financial backing. I still believe that Hulkenberg and Rubens Barrichello made for a good match at Williams. I don't see the same chemistry happening between Rubens and Maldonado.

In Maldonado's defense - however - he did win the GP2 feeder series this year with a rookie team and won more races that any other driver. So it is not as if he has come out of nowhere. The real issue here is whether or not he makes sense as a replacement for Hulkenberg. My opinion is that he is a bad gamble. I just can't believe that Williams would have invested an entire season in Hulkenberg just to dismiss him unless there was big money behind Maldonado. I don't deny that Pastor has talent. But he will have to perform above and beyond everyone's expectations to shake the "pay driver" label.

For Parr to claim that "money is irrelevant" is not only ridiculous, but absolutely disingenuous. Formula 1 as a sport - and particularly who drives these priceless cars - has always been about financial backing and sponsorship. That is simply a reality. Much like the sport has done with team orders this year, bosses like Parr need to stop denying the facts about F1 and simply admit financial backing is a key consideration when choosing any driver - particularly a rookie.

I think that Maldonado will likely have a solid rookie campaign. But he will not outdo Hulkenberg. All along, Nico is still waiting for the phone to ring and an F1 seat to appear. Hopefully, all of this will motivate him. I am very interested to see where he lands and how he responds.

SOURCES

Maldonado no 'pay-driver' insists Williams' Parr - Motorsport.com

Last edited by Barrister; 01-01-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Watch Maldonado not even come close to Hulkenberg's rookie season.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
So, I'm a n00b on F1, they pay him as a driver or he as a driver paid for his seat. I thought drivers in F1 bought in, no?

Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Rookies almost always must bring in very strong financial interests with them.

This support normally comes from businesses in their home country who will join the team as a title sponsor.

Huge Venezuelan businesses backed Maldonado. As did Mexican businesses for Sauber rookie Sergio Perez.

On rare ocassionas - as with Renault's Vitaly Petrov - a driver can post personal money to buy his seat. Petrov's father put up about $20 million of his own money for Petrov's drive.

All of these drivers are paid. But the rookies can make as little as $150,000 a year.

Often the difference between getting a seat or not - when the talent level is so similar - is the financial backing you bring to the team.

I will say this, however: I don't think any amount of money would tempt a team to give a seat to a driver that they thought was totally unprepared to drive in F1. There is just too much at stake.

Last edited by Barrister; 01-01-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
I hope to see Hulkenberg back in a seat soon, Preferably in this up coming season, to show Williams how wrong they were.

It's sad to see, but true that Money is the biggest motivator in picking rookie drivers. Makes it easier to pass up actual talent.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Dana!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:24 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
he's a pay driver