Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Porsche Cayman S wins Motor Trend Magazine award for "Best Driver's Car" for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Porsche Cayman S wins Motor Trend Magazine award for "Best Driver's Car" for 2009

The past two years, we've engulfed and entertained you with Motor Trend's "Best-Handling Car," an exhaustive multipage feature replete with in-depth analyses and qualitative data on the year's most imposing crop of high-performance machines. We've spent hundreds of hours driving an array of curve-carvers along challenging public roads and, with a little help from pro racers Max Angelelli and Randy Pobst, around the infamous 2.3 miles of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. We've not only recorded such standard MT stats as lateral g and figure eight, but also utilized a bevy of contraptions, sensors, and measuring devices to calculate such dynamics as step steer, swerve stability, and ride quality -- all in our best efforts to quantify optimal handling. In order to narrow down the field to the Best-Handling Car, we examined, filtered, and hotly debated over all the objective and subjective bytes.

While no magazine had ever attempted testing this detailed, we knew there was room for improvement.
Enter 2009's test. For this go-around we addressed a shortcoming that now seems obvious to us. In our efforts to ascertain the best-handling car, we overlooked some vital data: our expert subjectivity. Sure, we'll continue to keenly heed every observation made by Pobst, who graciously joins our team again, but this year we're going to listen to ourselves more, considering such nuances as a car's ability to induce driver confidence and its prowess at enveloping our judges in ergonomic delight. We even deemed it important to examine not only steering feel but also steering-wheel feel: That's right, how well does the shape of the helm satisfy the fingers? These and other criteria are all scrutinized in the following pages.

For the rest of the story -->>
2009 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - Best driver's car competition - Motor Trend

Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
After seeing that there was no GT3 in the test, I have lost all faith in Motor Trend.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Werid they would put a Cayman S in this test, I would expect a GT3 or a TT.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Cayman is a mid engine and handles better out of the box then a TT or GT3 I have owned both the prior cars and have driven the Cayman.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
This is what kills me. The journo's LOVE the cayman S. Porsche it's self tells us how exciting the car is to drive on the track. But the reality is; MOST of us don't have a track outside their front door enough to justify the Cayman S.

It's a joke really. Because Porsche actually 'thinks' of the Cayman S as a 'entry point' into the brand, work your way 'up' to a 911.....sort of thing.

And that's the joke; Porsche hasn't a clue that the reason the Cayman S / Cayman are such poor sellers isn't because it's a bad car. It's a FANTASTIC car. But for $65k - think of ALL the cars that fall into that category.

M3
C63
CPO 997/ 996 Turbo, 993 etc etc. And more over, the client who spends $65 on a car, with Porsche specifically- they're writing a check. Does one go out and say "Oh, I can't spend a penny over $65k!"

No. They easily can afford a Turbo if they wish. What (usually) happens is the client either gets a 997; or goes for a Boxster. Boxster is less money, and it's got a drop top. It's perceived to be a 'better value' for the average driver- And i agree.

So Porsche can claim is a champion of a car. The journo's can claim it's an absolute winner.

But the fact is- they remain unsold on the lot; because they're incorrectly priced and incorrectly marketed.

Porsche: listen up, either reduce the price of both the cayman and cayman S below that of the boxster, or kill either the cayman or cayman S.

I'm actually thinking of this structure for the 987 chassis:

(priced from highest to lowest)

Boxster S
Boxster
Cayman (priced around $41/42 base price)

They (we) would sell a LOT of Cayman.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant future
I agree the test cars could have been better picked.

I read this as individual tests.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
A great car but in my eyes not exactly a worthy winner

Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute
For the price you get a mid-engined German engineered sports car that can out perform most everything with less hp. It's a classic P O R S C H E.

My wife's 2.7 Cayman is the best balanced car I have ever driven. It's like putting on a glove.

Imagine what it would do if Porsche let loose on it and wasn't afraid of out doing the 911.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 96740
For the price you get a mid-engined German engineered sports car that can out perform most everything with less hp. It's a classic P O R S C H E.

My wife's 2.7 Cayman is the best balanced car I have ever driven. It's like putting on a glove.

Imagine what it would do if Porsche let loose on it and wasn't afraid of out doing the 911.
Imagine how happy we'd all be if I could clone clients who appreciated it as much as you!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Well I think the Cayman has left to desired from Porsche, LSD, good shocks and better sways, more powerful engine. No question that it is the best balanced car Porsche has on the market, put some HP back into, tweak the suspension some and add a LSD and there is not much that comes close. But it is really treated like the ugly duckling by Porsche. Go to Planet 9 (the former Cayman Club) and you will find thousands of people who would not by a 911 over the Cayman. People who had prior 911s and are looking for a drivers car.

I agree on the bad product policy Porsche is playing with the Cayman. The original Top Gepisode (believe in season 7) where it got the badge the Cockster best illustrated it when Jezza went over the chart with the Boxster, Cayman and 911. The Cayman has so much potential and is just placed as a stop gap. My Cayman has been at TPCs for a little over two months and I am DD'ing my 997tt. I hope to pick it up next week and I can tell you that I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Configured right it is a little arrrrrrrse kigga ...