Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Whitmarsh: Unlucky Hamilton did nothing wrong

Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Whitmarsh: Unlucky Hamilton did nothing wrong

From PlanetF1.com:

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh has come to the defence of Lewis Hamilton, saying he did nothing wrong in his collision with Mark Webber that dealt a major blow to his Championship chances.

The Brit failed to finish his second race in a row after being forced to to retire from the Singapore Grand Prix after making contact with Red Bull's Webber when trying to overtake the Australian on lap 36.

His disappointment was clear when he threw his steering wheel from the car before clambering out.

The failure to finish followed a similar scenario in Monza two weeks ago when he collided with Felipe Massa's Ferrari.

Sunday's retirement leaves him 20 points behind Webber in the Championship race with four Grand Prix to go.

"I think Lewis was very unlucky," Whitmarsh told Autosport.

"I am sure people may, because it is easy journalism, look at two races in a trot we have an incident but I think if you look at what happened Lewis did not make a late lunge.

"What happened in Monza was a bit opportunistic but if you look at the position of Lewis in Monza versus the Ferrari then it was almost reverse of what happened. He got past, he was in the lead and went for the corner and left a bit of space - but Mark was lucky to get away with it.

"We can get heated about blame but I think Mark has got to race as well, but the important thing from my perspective was that from Lewis it was not a desperate overtaking, it was a solid overtaking manoeuvre.

"When ever you overtake in any form of motor racing there is a degree of risk and he was unlucky that it did not come off this time.

"I don't believe Lewis did anything wrong. I am not trying to get into the blame game but I think he made a good overtaking manoeuvre.

"Whenever you overtake someone, if they are not going to comply or ease then there is a degree of risk, but this was not a late-braking or late-lunge. He got past on the straight, he was ahead going into that corner.

"He reasonably expected to be able to determine his line, he left a bit of space for Mark and I think Mark was committed quite late and not able to go through on the inside. He hit Lewis.

"Mark was very lucky to get away with it absolutely and Lewis was very unlucky. But there is no blame attached to Lewis for what happened."

Whitmarsh, though, also insisted that there was no point in blaming Webber for the shunt either.

"I am not laying it firmly. I believe that what Lewis did was right. And I am not here to try and blame Webber, I think he was very lucky to get away with it.

"I don't think blaming Mark is useful. Did Lewis make a mistake in what he was doing? No, he didn't in my opinion."

Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton should've known he didn't stand a chance to get room from a guy that doesn't move for teammates! And it was funny to see Kubica pull off the exact same pass successfully...