Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Grosjean joins Alonso at Renault

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Grosjean joins Alonso at Renault

Formula One news: Grosjean joins Alonso at Renault - GPUpdate.net Formula One

Romain Grosjean will make his Formula One debut racing alongside Fernando Alonso in this weekend's European Grand Prix. The Frenchman, reserve driver for the team, will make the step up the motorsport ladder from GP2 and fills the vacant seat previously occupied by Nelson Piquet.

With Brazilian Piquet's Renault F1 career having ended in a words with team principal Flavio Briatore, Grosjean's place alongside the former double Champion was announced on Monday morning after the team won its Monday appeal to race this weekend.

Grosjean has been part of Renault's Driver Development (RDD) programme for five years and is currently second for Campos in the GP2 championship standings to Nico Hulkenberg after leading earlier this season.

"I am very proud that the Renault F1 Team has given me the chance to become a race driver," 23-year-old Grojean said. "I'm looking forward to driving the R29 and helping the team get the best results possible. It's also an honour to be Fernando's team-mate and to make my Formula One debut alongside a double World Champion is especially motivating."

Lucas di Grassi returns to the team to take over reserve driver duties, meaning he will be slotted into a race seat should either Alonso or Grosjean be unable to compete.

"We are happy to give Romain the chance to start racing with the team," added team principal Briatore. "He is an impressive young talent and we expect him to show his skills driving alongside Fernando as we take an aggressive approach to the second half of the season. We would also like to thank Nelson for his contribution during the time he has been with us and wish him all the best for the future."

Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
I'm surprised Briatore didn't say anything harsh about Piquet.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder how he'll compare to Piquet with the testing ban in place. If I were a team owner, I'd just hang on to my roster for the duration of the season if possible.