Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

This Tops It All - Japanese GP Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
There is plenty of interest in F1 in the U.S. And even if there isn't, why does the interest have to be domestic? What if they had a race in Vegas - running through the downtown area? You don't think that race would draw people from all over the world? Does it matter if the race is attended by the international community and not U.S. citizens? You don't need domestic interest to have a successful GP. All of the money is in TV rights and licensing anyway.

In addition, if you had a series of successful GPs in the U.S. and were able to drum up some domestic interest, maybe Audi, Porsche and Volkswagen (which I know is partially owned by Porsche) might get involved. Audi owns Lambo and Bugatti - they too might be interested in fielding a team. They have all expressed interest in F1 if there was a stronger U.S. presence.

And don't forget, Ferrari sold almost 25% of its cars in the U.S. in 2007 (2000 out of roughly 6,000). I think even the tifosi would like to see that number increase.
there was talk of a GP through the streets of vegas or at laguna but the organizers of those events never made much inroads with bernie. look, bernie isn't going after anyone to host a GP, there are people lined up (some with tracks already under construction such as south africa & india) trying to get a GP. personally, i would love to see a race in vegas. i think that would be a fantastic venue. i think laguna would be great as well although it may not be up to par for F1 standards.

regarding VAG interest of fielding an F1 team, they have repeatedly stated it is simply too expensive for them. there was much speculation that a lamborghini or porsche team would come in last year but david richards and prodrive were the only ones to step up to the plate. doesn't seem like the bean counters over there are willing to approve it. porsche seems content on sticking with le mans...that being said i think F1 would be the ideal showcase for their brand and to further develop new technologies to improve their road cars. now, if they are simply waiting for more US races to field a team as you speculate then it will likely be a long wait as bernie seems fed up with this place...for now.