Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Photography 101

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pure Evo
Yeah, that's what I was going to say - I think it definitely works best with glass and water. Here's an example of a shot that AWD took vs one that I took of the same thing using a circular polarizer.

I know this isn't apples to apples because we shot a different angles, but we both shot through the glass with reflections, and you can get the general idea:

Justin's:

Mine with circular polarizer:

All We'll Drive........A photography 101 example of what NOT to do.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GrayTT
Agree 100% with the filter...
I like the W+B filter
Hani, you mean B&W don't you? I have that one..it actually isn't as effective as the one from Tiffen. I was surprised too.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
Hani, you mean B&W don't you? I have that one..it actually isn't as effective as the one from Tiffen. I was surprised too.
Thats because yours are on backwards
j/k yes I meant B+W...

Really like this pic by Yoyo

Name:  SmallFile_4740.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  126.2 KB

Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
BUT back to 101...

Filters:
Link ----> Photography 101.org - Lens Filters Explained
Lens filters can add many enhancing qualities to your photographs. When purchasing a filter, remember that you usually get what you pay for. Hoya and Tiffen are always good filter choices, but are a little pricey. Sometimes, lower quality filters will work fine, but other times, you may have problems such as low performance, low image quality, haze or blur, etc. With a Hoya or Tiffen you are pretty much guaranteed to have no problems. All filters are measured in millimeters, and the size of filter which you need will depend on the thread size of your lens. For example, the kit lens which comes with the Canon Rebel XT is 58mm. You can use larger filters on a smaller lens, or vise versa, with the use of step-up and step-down rings. Below, we will outline the different types of filters, and what they do.

UV Filters - Absorb ultraviolet rays and cuts through far-off atmospheric haze. UV filters also serve as protection for your lens, so it is recommended that you keep them on at all times. UV filters have no drastic image enhancing effect, other than cutting through haze.

Polarizers - Polarizers come in two varieties, Circular Polarizers (CPL) or Linear Polarizers (PL). Generally, linear polarizers are best for manual focus cameras, and circular polarizers are best for autofocus. The reason for this is that with a linear polarizer, many autofocus and metering systems have problems focusing or metering light. When light rays reflect off of a surface, they become polarized. Polarizing filters allow you to basically select which of these light rays you want to allow to pass through. Polarizing filters allow you to remove reflections from any non-metallic surface, such as glass, water, granite countertops, etc. They also increase clarity and vibrance of colors, and drastically improve the appearance of a blue sky. By increasing the contrast between the sky and clouds, and darkening the blue of the sky, they make for some very vivid sky shots.
These are the two most commonly used filter... maybe you guys can add to the list

Last edited by GrayTT; 05-08-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
That's a great explanation, Gray. And to echo that - every lens I buy I also buy a UV filter, but primarily as a lens protector rather than to actually enhance photos.

The polarizer is definitely the one that actually is beneficial. Almost everything else can easily be "fixed" in PS. You can clearly see the benefits of it working with glass in the McLaren shots above.