Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Seriously Considering Getting A Ducati Monster 696

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
this thread has made me think of learning to ride a MC for my US roadtrip. I think it would be a hell of a lot cooler than sitting in a shitbox all day

Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I just got back from checking out these bikes in person at Spectrum Motorsports in Irvine. They were really nice. They had one in each color. At first, I was really taken by the matte black demo bike they had. It had an upgraded exhaust and a bunch of carbon fiber parts. Then I saw the red one and just caved. So, if I get it, I will definitely get a red one - bone stock.

They came down to $10,000 out the door on the bike - about an $800 savings off of MSRP. They were not looking to deal much on the bike. My wife made me promise that I would take the weekend to sleep on it.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:52 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
awesome awesome awesome.
It'll be a restless weekend!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I just got back from checking out these bikes in person at Spectrum Motorsports in Irvine. They were really nice. They had one in each color. At first, I was really taken by the matte black demo bike they had. It had an upgraded exhaust and a bunch of carbon fiber parts. Then I saw the red one and just caved. So, if I get it, I will definitely get a red one - bone stock.

They came down to $10,000 out the door on the bike - about an $800 savings off of MSRP. They were not looking to deal much on the bike. My wife made me promise that I would take the weekend to sleep on it.

I'll keep you guys posted!
Just order it and take delivery on Thursday next week and you're safe...."yeah love, I've been thinking about it" etc etc . Just make sure you'll stay safe out there!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo
Just make sure you'll stay safe out there!
On my bike or from my wife??

Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
I almost bit on the Brutale a couple years ago, but my legs were just too long for it. I couldn't get my leg under the curve of the gas tank. I haven't been on the 08 though... do you know if the erg's have changed to accommodate taller riders at all? Not that 6'1" is all that tall...
I'm 6'4 and I ride a 916...

Never had a problem with any of the Duc line.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Green has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond repute
As Choke said, look at the aprilia Tuono 1000 R. The ergonomics are surprisingly comfortable, better then the Monster IMHO, and the bike looks great. Too bad it doesn't have ABS.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Dana, if you have time, come down to the Long Beach Convention Center tomorrow to the International Motorcycle Show. I'll be there probably around mid day. Let me know if you want to go.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
After reading the sticky in this sub forum and checking out the bikes online, I am seriously considering picking up a 2009 Ducati Monster 696. I have several questions for the bike experts here.

1. I am a total beginner. I have a lot of experience with off-road bikes but I have never been on a street bike in my life. Will the Monster 696 be too much for me to learn on?

2. I don't have a bike license. Can I purchase the bike and learn on it without a license - kind of a "learners permit" situation? Otherwise, how would I get my license before I own a bike?

3. Are there any training courses - like the one Auto Purveyor went to in the sticky - that I might attend?

4. If not the Ducati Monster 696, what other bikes might be good for a total beginner like myself?

5. The MSRP on the bike is $8,775. What kind of deal do you think I can get on one right now?

Any advice and insight on these topics - or anything else about this subject - is much appreciated!

1. No. A 696 is by no means a slouch, but it's not the kind of power that will catch a rider out with sloppy throttle control. You'll have fun.

2. Most states have a permit that allows you to ride so many months before having to get your license. I can only speak from Experience with NY, CT, and MA though. Look into what they allow you to take the test on as well. In CT you can use a dirtbike, which makes the driving course much easier to do than on a sportbike.

3. There are a ton of great classes and track days that you can do to sharpen your skills. Start frequenting some bike forums to get the good info!

4. A Desmosedici. Joking...any relatively modern 600cc is a great bike to learn on. You will pick up the basics faster and learn how to ride better if you opt for something even smaller...the only downside to that is the fact that you will end up selling it once your skills eclipse the bike.

5. Seems about right for that bike.

As stated, wear your gear. Denim jeans disintegrate in .4 seconds when they hit pavement. Protect yourself.

Also, get frame/clutch/swing arm sliders. These little plastic bolt ons will save you a TON of money when the bike goes down...and it will go down.
They essentially protrude just far enough to protect vital bits that would otherwise hit the ground in a crash.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
BAM!

Woke up on Sunday morning and what was in the driveway?? OH YEAH! I often blame my wife for not buying a Scud and reigning in my crazy spending. But she did me right today - God I love her! A total shock. I had pretty much decided against getting it - I want to be fiscally responsible now that I am starting my own firm. She acted like that was cool - patted me on the back and said "you can get one next year - and never let on. She bought it on Saturday while she was out running errands and had it delivered on Sunday morning. What a woman!

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I guess I will really need it now!

Teaser pic! More to come.

Last edited by Barrister; 12-09-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Seriously Considering Getting A Ducati Monster 696