Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Older M5 model Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
All well and good for your 525i, but the M5 is another beast altogether. The engine is based off the M6 for a start.

Like any old bimmers, expect little things to go wrong fairly regularly, and for something major to happen at least once. As someone said, it is not going to be a trouble free DD, so if you are expecting it to be as reliable as a modern alternative, ya dreaming.

But they are also stunning cars. It is definitely a +/- thing.

If it were me, i'd go for the E28.
We thought long and hard about buying that 30K mile E28 M5 at EAG that has since sold, but decided not to due to lack of back seat space for kids.

Trouble free DD for these M cars requires money, in the thousands, either in the built in selling price for a turnkey, or in maintenance that you have to put in shortly after buying it.

Put it this way, a bad S38 in the E34 can mean a really bad day for your bank account.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
As others have stated, make sure it has been properly maintained. Without this, it could be a heap of trouble, albeit still a very sick bimmer.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a nice one, if you can get over the 80's Don Johnson color scheme.

Enthusiast Auto: 1993 BMW M5 Manual Sedan

Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
VegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
Here's a nice one, if you can get over the 80's Don Johnson color scheme.

Enthusiast Auto: 1993 BMW M5 Manual Sedan

I can't tell you how dissapointed I was when white jackets and loafers without socks went out of style. That's a nice find.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by VegasFloyd
I can't tell you how dissapointed I was when white jackets and loafers without socks went out of style. That's a nice find.
If you want classic M cars that are turnkey, EAG is the real deal.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
I almost bought one that was a full Dinan upgraded package. I called Diana on a good day and got lucky and spoke to a guy who knew the car very well. He spoke very highly of it and it was incredibly maintained from day one (one owner car), even with the high praise for this car, he warned me about the cost to keep it on the road and said "a e39 at $25k more is a much better buy if you plan to put miles on the car and keep it for any length of time, if you want a 2nd car in the garage for sunny days to tinker on that has ever singel record since new, then buy this one." But keep in mind you will enjoy the e39 so much this car will never get driven.

It was that day that I stopped shopping for a E34 and bought a E39. Look at everything you can do to a E39 and compare it to any other "out of date" bmw and you will have all your answers.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
VegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by VegasFloyd; 11-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond reputeTraderHal has a reputation beyond repute
beware of the dreaded carbon buildup