Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Older WRX - experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Older WRX - experience?

How reliable are the first gen WRXs? 2002'ish
I know they facelifted in 04 - what other differences? Think it's just out of my price range but worth knowing nonetheless.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
OPTIONS is on a distinguished roadOPTIONS is on a distinguished roadOPTIONS is on a distinguished road
go to the nasioc forums, they have all the info there. But as far as I know, the only thing that changes was the facelift. The motor is exactly the same, my bud had one and dogged the shit out of it. It ran like a champ, never had any issues.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
barebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond reputebarebones has a reputation beyond repute
They are great cars.... the past owners are the problem. When I was on the search for a new car I looked at these wrx's, cheap, quick and easy to live with. Only probem was that when I went to look at them they were beat to hell, most were 2nd owner cars with 2 sets of guys beating them up on back roads. Find a good one and take it!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ agree, most of the problems of the older WRX were the owners. My buddy had 2002 WRX with 120k on the clock and alot of those miles being on the track and he was just starting to replace some parts when it got totalled. I love my rex, especially the AWD in New England, handled better then my A4. Personally I would try to get a 2004-2005 WRX, I'm not a fan of the bug eyes. Either way its still the same 2.0 engine. IF you do get a WRX go Cobb stage 2 asap.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
I'd get a full compression / leakdown test before jumping into a used WRX just owing to the percentage of drivers that fiddle with the things.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Here are some other reviews I found for you:

Love the Subaru WRX

Written by: Kyletran on 02/11/2010

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 10 Fun-to-Drive: 10 Build Quality: 10
Comfort: 10 Interior Design: 10 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 10 Exterior Design: 10

Vehicle

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Review

I bought this car few month ago with 89000 miles on it at the small dealer in Norco and drove it home with happiness. The car still run great and powerful that surprise me and i don't have any problem with it at all until now. I love Subaru and love how they build the car that can last forever.

Favorite Features

AWD, turbocharge, OEM turbo boost,MOMO steering wheel, and everything alse.....

Suggested Improvements

bigger turbo, better intercooler, better brake system

This car just doesn't quit

Written by: Aspen White Bugeye on 10/14/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 10 Fun-to-Drive: 10 Build Quality: 10
Comfort: 8 Interior Design: 9 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 9 Exterior Design: 10

Vehicle

Review

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

Favorite Features

Foot to the floor = all the power you need. Easy on the gas = 26-28 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The squeaky seatbelt was enough to get me to replace the seats entirely, and the cheap plastic brackets that hold the bumper on should be burned.

Great car!

Written by: James on 08/01/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 10 Fun-to-Drive: 8 Build Quality: 10
Comfort: 9 Interior Design: 7 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 8 Exterior Design: 8

Vehicle

Review

I purchased this car in 2003 with 20,000 miles already on it. I beat this car HARD all the way through college and it's still kicking. I've done all my own maintenance... it's never been to the dealer. I've had to replace the brakes (pads & rotors) at 68k, accessory belts at 70k, and a set of tires at 60k. I redline the car every time I drive it...it's fun, reliable, and great in the snow!

Favorite Features

AWD in the snow, peppy engine, handles like a go-cart, rock solid reliability!

Suggested Improvements

New models received a much needed interior upgrade, paint needs help... that's all!

fun with headaches

Written by: subypd on 03/13/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 8 Fun-to-Drive: 9 Build Quality: 5
Comfort: 8 Interior Design: 7 Reliability: 4
Fuel Economy: 6 Exterior Design: 5

Vehicle

Review

I ordered my WRX from the dealership in 2000 when I first read it would be imported to the states. I have loved driving it for the last eight years, this coming form a former mustang owner. Wasn't quite as fast in a straight line but did everything else well. After owning this car I will NEVER buy a new model in the first year. The windows squeak, paint is too thin, had the defective fuel rail system replaced (twice) and the engine blew at 119K. Still have no idea why. Salvage long block set me back $5500 installed. Now the A/C compressor is about to go. Most of the bugs were worked out by the middle of 2003. Would buy it again, just not in the first build year.

Favorite Features

Great traction, wonderful exhaust note with aftermarket pipes. Fun in the snow!

Suggested Improvements

Thicker clear coat on the paint. Road chips have torn apart my hood and fenders. Tires have always been too narrow on Subaru's but I'm guessing it's to better work with the awd. And why do I have to use premium fuel? They should have designed it to run on regular.

8 Years... I still love this car!

Written by: MOMO1 on 03/06/2009

Detailed Ratings
Overall Rating

Performance: 10 Fun-to-Drive: 10 Build Quality: 9
Comfort: 8 Interior Design: 8 Reliability: 10
Fuel Economy: 8 Exterior Design: 9

Vehicle

Review

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and aside from a CPU problem (covered by factory warranty) I've had no problems. With 92,000 I've replaced the brakes just once on the front and back. It is a driver's car and is all about performance and drivability. Definitely the most bang for the buck possibly of any car made to date.

Favorite Features

Steering and acceleration are just superb. Original look and has never left me stranded -built to last!

Suggested Improvements

Body is tinny and dents easily - cabin noise. Transmission is a bit temperamental.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
WOW. thanks guys!!
finding a cleaner, low-mileage one is def the hard part.