Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Talk to me about M3s

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
So not only that the Nissan GT-R has been proven to be faster than the M3, but according to MotorAuthority, the GT-R has a better resale value after 12 months. The 84% residual value is significantly higher than the BMW M3 residuals, which tends to be around 60% after year passes.

But in BMW’s defense, the M3’s were never known for holding their value too well, and according to the latest residual values published in January, the BMW M3 Coupe has a residual value after 24 months set at 56% and at 36 months, 50%.

The convertible M3 does even worse: 24 months – 51%, 36 months – 47%. In contrast, the more expensive BMW M5 has higher residuals than the M3, but still short of the Nissan GT-R, 24 months – 60% and 36 months – 55%.

All the above numbers are based on 10,000 miles limit. So, the Nissan fans have another reason to brag about their GT-R, especially since it also beats the classic Porsche 911 Carrera and the new supercar from Audi, R8, with residual values set at 73% respectively, 73%.

But, we need to take in consideration the amazing BMW lease program, with the subsidized APR, a program that can give the consumers a better monthly lease payment when compared to its competitors.

We won’t be getting now into lease details, but I thought I will share this with you.

Nissan GT-R beats the BMW M3 and BMW M5 in residual value

Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Trilla26 is on a distinguished roadTrilla26 is on a distinguished road
personally, i would go with the m3. it might not be as fast as the gtr but it will still provide fun while being more practical as a daily driver

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
M3 will be a heck of alot more fun than the GTR to mess around with.

And it's comfy, a little to comfy, but perfect for a daily.

Make sure you def. get the 18's, they look much better.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks again for all the info. I need to go drive them back-to-back (and bring my wife). She is definitely NOT onboard with me dumping the 911. That will be a challenge. The big downers with the GT-R are 1) no manual trans and 2) the crappy dealership experiences I've had in my two previous attempts to buy one.

Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Dude!!!! Welp.....I say you drive both and that will shed more light as to which way to go car wise. But I've got some other questions so email or pm me would ya pimp ?
I PM'ed you right after I posted this thread. Check your PMs, jarhead.

Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
Make sure you def. get the 18's, they look much better.
Yep, I'd definitely get 18s. They'd be my winter wheels and I'd probably get CH-Rs or LM-Rs for summers.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
^Your wife is NOT fond of you replacing your 911 with something more practical? Quite a catch you've got there

Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG
^Your wife is NOT fond of you replacing your 911 with something more practical? Quite a catch you've got there
As Russ (Mexico Blue) says, I've married up.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
As Russ (Mexico Blue) says, I've married up.
Why not replace the GTI?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Watch this space.
Originally Posted by STLG
Why not replace the GTI?
Ha ha - that's another ball of worms. Currently it's my wife's car since we sold the A3. I'm planning on getting her a TT-S (or similar) in the late fall. If I got an M3, I'd probably still keep the GTI as a cheap, fun trackday car. The GTI is seriously fun...

Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Ha ha - that's another ball of worms. Currently it's my wife's car since we sold the A3. I'm planning on getting her a TT-S (or similar) in the late fall. If I got an M3, I'd probably still keep the GTI as a cheap, fun trackday car. The GTI is seriously fun...
I don't doubt the GTI is fun, but so is the 911 I assume I guess it comes down to lowering your auto-upkeep costs as you mentioned in the original post. Nothing against the TT-S, but isn't in the $40-$45k range? No interest in other cars in that same category/price range?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
the only problem for me, personally, is feeling like some teenage kid driving around in an M3 all day...

Quick Reply: Talk to me about M3s