Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Talk to me about M3s

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ecb
e.g Gtr.....
2012 Gt3

Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
As Russ (Mexico Blue) says, I've married up.
I've met her, and I can concur with Chris concurring with Russ.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Save some money get the 335is, Chip it.... Then Get the GT3 sooner.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
Save some money get the 335is, Chip it.... Then Get the GT3 sooner.

Something about chipped cars doesn't agree with me. I don't know if 335 + chip is faster than an M3, but even if it is, I'd much rather have an M3. Not quite the same, but here's a similar analogy: Heavily modded Jetta, or an S5? Better yet, heavily modded A4 or stock RS4? I think you know the answer.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
As someone who truly appreciates what BMW has accomplished with the 335, the M3 is a completely different animal. My wife had a 335 sedan when I had my M3 and while the 335 was easily the best non-M BMW i've driven/owned, the M3 is just in a different league.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned
I think this suggestion (or something similar) was already made, but here it is again:

Keep the GTI as a DD, buy a TT-s for the wife, sell the C4S (or keep it in the garage) and save for the '12 GT3.

I personally don't see the appeal of the Audi TTs, but I think its what his wife likes.

Edit: I too appreciate what the 335i represents in its market, I just didn't find it enjoyable enough to drop $50k (Lowest I could get any dealer to go, MSRP on the one I spec'ed was $53k+) when I could get what I got (MSRP spec ~$47k) for under $41k. Yes its not a BMW, yes it doesn't have 4 years free maintenance, yes its not as quick, but I liked/like just about everything about the G37S more than I did/do the 335.

^Just my opinion though, I know on paper the 335 is better than the G37S.

Last edited by STLG; 03-31-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
I've met her, and I can concur with Chris concurring with Russ.
How about Chris is just an awesome guy and she's lucky to have him? LOL

Give the guy some credit!!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG
Something about chipped cars doesn't agree with me. I don't know if 335 + chip is faster than an M3, but even if it is, I'd much rather have an M3. Not quite the same, but here's a similar analogy: Heavily modded Jetta, or an S5? Better yet, heavily modded A4 or stock RS4? I think you know the answer.
Yes, and No - I def. agree about chipping cars, its not my favorite either, but the potential on these Twin Turbo motors its hard not too, especially when 1,000's of people have run them for 100,000's of miles with no issues. Comparing a Jetta to an S5 is apples to oranges, and an A4 to an RS4 is close, but different animals in the end (wider body, A4 engine does not come close to RS4). The M3 and 335 share the same body, and every single Suspension component from the M3 can be swapped onto the 335i without an issue, for pretty cheap (sub 2k). Add an LSD, and some coilovers, with just a chip and you'll pull on M3's on the track no problem. Plus the M3's V8 as amazing as it is, lacks in the Torque Department, and when compared to some very lightly modded 335i - the 335 usually puts down much better numbers. But I do agree, I would much rather have an M3 as well, that car is just Bas A$$.... just a bit too much $$ for me right now.

Here's an interesting article where a Magazine took a 335i and modded it to compare/beat an M3 and still save a good chunk of change.

Part 1 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...NzU0ZmU4&hl=en

Part 2 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...MzNkYzZj&hl=en

Part 3 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...YjNjZmRh&hl=en

Part 4 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...ZWM2M2U3&hl=en

Sorry for the Thread Jack!!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
Yes, and No - I def. agree about chipping cars, its not my favorite either, but the potential on these Twin Turbo motors its hard not too, especially when 1,000's of people have run them for 100,000's of miles with no issues. Comparing a Jetta to an S5 is apples to oranges, and an A4 to an RS4 is close, but different animals in the end (wider body, A4 engine does not come close to RS4). The M3 and 335 share the same body, and every single Suspension component from the M3 can be swapped onto the 335i without an issue, for pretty cheap (sub 2k). Add an LSD, and some coilovers, with just a chip and you'll pull on M3's on the track no problem. Plus the M3's V8 as amazing as it is, lacks in the Torque Department, and when compared to some very lightly modded 335i - the 335 usually puts down much better numbers. But I do agree, I would much rather have an M3 as well, that car is just Bas A$$.... just a bit too much $$ for me right now.

Here's an interesting article where a Magazine took a 335i and modded it to compare/beat an M3 and still save a good chunk of change.

Part 1 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...NzU0ZmU4&hl=en

Part 2 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...MzNkYzZj&hl=en

Part 3 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...YjNjZmRh&hl=en

Part 4 - https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...ZWM2M2U3&hl=en

Sorry for the Thread Jack!!!!
You win

Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned
TBH I like the 1-series look a little better than the 3-series. I know nothing about how they stack up against each other, but I have heard that the 1 is faster than the 3?

Quick Reply: Talk to me about M3s