Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

Official Pedal Power Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maxemus
H20skier, those are excellent times. Get yourself a garmin edge and that will give you exact data. You will be able to keep track of your workouts on Garmin Connect.
Wish we had hills in Miami but what we have do have is an abundance of wind.
I'd be depressed. I used to be able to ride pretty fast.

I've not even replaced my old campy battery because I don't want to see my speeds

I've got 4 normal rides I do around my house I just know how far they are so I can calculate.

We are lucky we don't get a lot of wind. I dislike heavy winds as I typically like riding in front.

I do get to ride with some crazy fasts when I am in sun valley in the summer and I love those rides where I hang on for dear life. Brutal pain but so worth it. Got to ride with A kid from Garmin last summer. That was a nasty18 miles at 6000 feet plus altitude.

I love to suffer on a bike

Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eddiecut
They also make some great iPhone apps that give all the info a Harmon would, pretty slick case and mounting also.
Yeah, I use yougyourride which does simply time, distance, elevation and bluetooth HRM. You can get others that do powertap, etc.. if you care.

I'm primarily an MTB guy and I'd say there is bleedover. Roadie tends to be more fitness HR training oriented, true endurance work. MTB can be that on a flat trail but then you're road biking on a trail. Real MTB is more interval/skills based. I'm pretty decent on an MTB but pretty slow on a roadie. (Although some of that is riding an SS, I average like 12mph, lol!)

Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
I would love to have both.... But I just got that Giant and I am loving mtb right now. Exploring the trails out here is awesome

Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Yeah, I use yougyourride which does simply time, distance, elevation and bluetooth HRM. You can get others that do powertap, etc.. if you care.

I'm primarily an MTB guy and I'd say there is bleedover. Roadie tends to be more fitness HR training oriented, true endurance work. MTB can be that on a flat trail but then you're road biking on a trail. Real MTB is more interval/skills based. I'm pretty decent on an MTB but pretty slow on a roadie. (Although some of that is riding an SS, I average like 12mph, lol!)
I was looking at single speeds yesterday so I could road ride with you. I find the ss intriguing

Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I was looking at single speeds yesterday so I could road ride with you. I find the ss intriguing
Truthfully it's more fun for MTB. I've been thinking of selling it and getting an entry level geared bike.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure but SS have to be hard to ride in the hills?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by maxemus
Not sure but SS have to be hard to ride in the hills?
Haha, to say the least. You basically stand up and hammer but that only lasts as long as you can grind it out. It's basically always in the wrong gear, but that's what makes it fun.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah single speeds look fun, everybody says they make you a better rider, to carry momentum out of the downhill sections to help with the uphill sections

Old 06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by eddiecut
Yeah single speeds look fun, everybody says they make you a better rider, to carry momentum out of the downhill sections to help with the uphill sections
Yeah, that's why I loved it for MTB because generally it's a lot of fairly short up or downhills and momentum is much more of a factor. On the road distances are much greater so you could easily have a minor uphill grade for half a mile to several miles. And with a gear that is in between sitting and standing it just blows.

Anyway, here was my SS ride today after all that bitching. It was still fun but I got passed by a women's team ride and a 55 Y/O (guessing) couple.

Attached Images    

Last edited by big_slacker; 06-10-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Haha, to say the least. You basically stand up and hammer but that only lasts as long as you can grind it out. It's basically always in the wrong gear, but that's what makes it fun.
That's why I love mine. It's the most obscene, impractical thing ever. But it's great for getting around cities for fun, and when I was in college, it was always awesome to ride with friends. 30 miles on rolling hills with a single gear is an easy way to build up an appetite on a run for Mexican food a couple cities over. I still have that bike, though I've been neglecting service on it for a while. Would love to find time to take it to ADT but I can't validate the cost of the license if I'm only going to go once in a while.

49-15 is an easy way to light your legs on fire. 49-15 on a pretty gnarly grade, well...just another Wednesday night!

Quick Reply: Official Pedal Power Thread