Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
damn dude, you were cut up - good stuff!

i just killed it in the gym. felt fvcking great... hoping to get back on my schedule of two-a-days.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Like I said interval training has its place and I would never dog it. There is more than one way to skin a cat though. I've done single digit BF a couple times in my life. First time I made HEAVY use of hill sprints. Second time I did a LOT of LSD. I'm currently working on doing it again with the approach being LSD with occasional intervals in the form of mountain biking as well as just a very clean but not restrictive diet.

Long way of saying, intervals are a tool and maybe not the best one depending on your approach. If you read bodybuilding sites you'd think it was the only way to get single digit BF. It isn't true and many people (including Arnold for instance) have proven it.

Here was after the hill sprint version FWIW at just under 10% using an accumeasure. Just resting, no flex, 155 lbs and I was deadlifting 385 at the time. Pardon the labels (and horrible pic) I was mocking internet tuffguys at the time.

Last edited by big_slacker; 07-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
^ i agree, some bb sites make it seem like there is only one way of doing anything right. same goes for dieting.
i would give anything to exercise outdoors in the environments you post up, enjoy it bro!
155 is great for activities i'm sure, but imagine all the fun times you would have stuffing your face in food if you take it up to 178

here is an old pic (2007) of the closest i ever was to 155.
was not much on mass, as my diet was the whole "salad & boiled chicken breast" thing since i was just back from doing my MA, came back from the UK at a fvcking 226lbs NEVER AGAIN.

for today, first 3km were at 12kmh constant (15 minutes), then an extra 11.5 minutes to round it up to 5km.

Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
got my ars handed to me last night for an hour in the racquetball court

Insanely good workout but holy hell the guy I play everyweek was on fire

Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
I know what HIIT is, but what exactly is LSD sprints?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
I know what HIIT is, but what exactly is LSD sprints?
LSD is working out so hard that you hallucinate.

Its actually not sprints or intervals at all, but Long Slow Distance. This is your traditional "road work", running, biking, swimming, etc... at a constant 65-75% max heart rate, generally done from 30 min to over an hour.

Its a constantly debated topic among bodybuilders, fitness folks, sports training, combat training, etc...

I've come from a wrestling/martial arts background but have also done powerlifting and endurance sports. (physical ADHD for sure) So I've seen and used both sides of the fence with success. The reason there is so much debate and confusion about it IMO is because they BOTH WORK! (See Nick Diaz doing tris and GSP doing sprints)

B, my frame does much better at 155 than it does at 170+. Last month I was 172 (the heaviest I've ever been) and I had to eat 3500+ cals/day to get there. I felt more sluggish, slower on runs/bike and generally more tired. Since then I've concentrated on eating very clean and am 10 lbs lighter as of monday when I weighed at the gym.

I've had no strength loss (but no gain either) however my wife commented that I looked bigger at the beach and had I been eating more. Heh heh, I think its just that I've maintained the muscle I had at 172 and just cut fat giving the illusion of being bigger. So that's my real goal at this point, preserving muscle while getting to low BF. Once I do that I'll likely work on maintaining the leaness while putting on a little more muscle, I know that's holy grail stuff but I think its possible with my body type and lots of discipline.

Finally, it is indeed awesome to be doing cardio work on my roadie and intervals on my mountain bike, swimming in the lake and so it. Sometimes its hard for me to even go to the gym with the lure of summer trails out there.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
I used LSD at the early stages of cutting weight - it was great in getting my cardiovascular conditioning going, and my fat just melted off...fantastic. It was something along the lines of a 4km swim , 4x a week, and then a 30-50mi bike ride that was fairly easy.

Now, I've reduced the distances and increased the intensity, more along the lines of an HIIT regimen. My swims are now 3k, 2x a week, with focus on my short distance sprints. I have muay thai thrown in there, and while the distance on the bike has increased, there's more of an emphasis in climbs and intervals during those long distances.

So far good results from both! Just comes down to staying focused and really being committed to staying with it for a long period of time. The results will come.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future

Cut the distance shorter, but roughly the same climbing. Less time this morning...hopefully I'll have some time to do my 68mi loop next week. Still, today was the first time my legs have burned in a while!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Just got back from the gym. I'm officially giving up deadlifts. Regardless of warmup, form or slowly building up they randomly tweak my back. It happened again today, with freakin 185. That's warmup weight, I'm just done with it. Max dead ever 385, max rack pull 550.

Was discussing this with my wife.

"I'm done with deadlifts forever, never again."

"Maybe you needed to warm up?"

"Oh I warmed up."

"Maybe you did too much weight?"

"It was only 185."

"Then you're just old and can't do them anymore."

LOL, that's how it goes in our house.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
^LOL

I had back to back hockey games (Wed and Thursday) due to playoffs. I collided with another player quite hard last night and my shoulder is tweaked today. We'll see if I can get a workout in later. Maybe jsut go for a chill ride.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread