Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Really.... this is VW's fault? Porsche and VW have been taking care of each other for the longest... most of the changes we are seeing today have been in the pipeline for years and years

This is a Porsche issue, they keep pushing what is basically the same engine to the limits every time... this was bound to happen

Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, the Mezger is still used on all 991 race cars.

The new engine, while much different than the regular 9A1, is still not a true dry sump engine. Perhaps that's why they're not using it on the Cup and RSR.

And also perhaps the 9A1 is just not capable of the power and revs they are demanding out of it?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
No, this wasn't VW's fault. I was just having fun.
The 9A1 is trouble. At present. I know they need to progress and change. But I would have never played with the Mezger change.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Nikolas is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Carrera
Yup, the Mezger is still used on all 991 race cars.

The new engine, while much different than the regular 9A1, is still not a true dry sump engine. Perhaps that's why they're not using it on the Cup and RSR.

And also perhaps the 9A1 is just not capable of the power and revs they are demanding out of it?
Please explain how it is not a true dry sump on the new GT 3? Very curious....2 scavange pumps per cylinder head and two in the crankcase......no?

Word has it the BBQ is related to an oil cooler bracket support affecting a very limited VIN run.

Last edited by Nikolas; 02-15-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!goldencrust You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
take it these issues have helped delay the rs launch to oct??

Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
911rox is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by GrayTT
Really.... this is VW's fault? Porsche and VW have been taking care of each other for the longest... most of the changes we are seeing today have been in the pipeline for years and years

This is a Porsche issue, they keep pushing what is basically the same engine to the limits every time... this was bound to happen
What are you talking about? This is an all new engine that is experiencing issue after issue...

Obviously the GT1 based Metzger wasn't up to the task for all of us hard core street drivers and therefore they gave us the GT3 specific 9A1 derivative... (Note: bucket loads of sarcasm)

Trust me, it's no coincidence that an engine dating back to the 80s and 90s still runs in all their motorsport programs including the RSR... It should also have been in the road versions until such time that a replacement was worthy of being in their race cars!

Old 02-16-2014, 12:00 AM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911rox
What are you talking about? This is an all new engine that is experiencing issue after issue...

Obviously the GT1 based Metzger wasn't up to the task for all of us hard core street drivers and therefore they gave us the GT3 specific 9A1 derivative... (Note: bucket loads of sarcasm)

Trust me, it's no coincidence that an engine dating back to the 80s and 90s still runs in all their motorsport programs including the RSR... It should also have been in the road versions until such time that a replacement was worthy of being in their race cars!
"All if us hard core street drivers" Whoo we got a bad ass in here.

(note the bucket loads of sarcasm)

I will leave my comment here. Someone knows more than my 28 years of flat block racing, building and ownership. Someone knows a flat 9A1 more than I, good for you.

Feel free to post your 4th with a solid dissertation.

Last edited by Brobbins016; 02-16-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
^^

Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
911rox is an unknown quantity at this point
My point was that contrary to the previous poster's suggestion, it isn't the old GT1 engine that's involved here... I wasn't knocking guys here as I included myself in the statement ("us"). Getting a little tired of all the Porsche and AP spin that the Mezger wasn't up to the task thus we had to have a new, better, higher revving engine. What a load of BS. Then we have all the journos rabbiting on about how much better it is and yet, in 3 months its had bulletins for camshaft sensors, thermostats and now spontaneous combustion and has failed to prove itself in their racing program.

Yes, Porsche are definitely at fault but not for persisting with old technology but rather for not sticking with it if it's good enough for all their racing platforms including the RSRs... Sure the GT1 motor had it's flaws too but to date, it hasn't stopped bashing out 350-400km track days in my hands, nor those of most other owners...

Apologies if I didn't have the post count to warrant pointing out that through their merge with VW, the focus has now moved towards cost cutting, maximised profit and their glorified domestic grade engine in cars marketed for track use is the culprit for these ongoing failures and delays with orders. In future I'll take note and ensure I have decades of experience under my belt before I set a record straight...

Last edited by 911rox; 02-16-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Nikolas is an unknown quantity at this point
Every new platform will have issues. The spontaneous combustion issue is on a limited vin range related to an oil cooler bracket. The cam sensor and thermostat were also issues. In all three cases, they are QC issues to externals of the block. So tell me how these three items make the Mezger so much better?

I'm certainly not mocking the 964 block, I have two cars with them that are flawless. I just see a lot of ranting about how poor the 9A1 motor is, when so far, the issues that have come up, have nothing to do with the block itself.