Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Share your thoughts (918 Spyder or Huayra)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
LeatherFoot is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a must read! The technology in this car is simply crazy.

What It's Like To Race In Porsche's $845,000 Hybrid Hypercar

Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Teamspeed Member
suhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scott Davis
Wouldn't the same principle apply to the Huayra?
Sort of.

But apart from the active-aero on the Huayra, there isn't much tech. Relatively, of course.

The 918 is a hybrid with two electric motors + torque vectoring + other Porsche tech.

That said, the 918 being a Porsche and a very modern one at that (read: anal levels of reliability and precision), the chances of things going kaput are fairly low I'd say.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Sort of.

But apart from the active-aero on the Huayra, there isn't much tech. Relatively, of course.

The 918 is a hybrid with two electric motors + torque vectoring + other Porsche tech.

That said, the 918 being a Porsche and a very modern one at that (read: anal levels of reliability and precision), the chances of things going kaput are fairly low I'd say.
Many of the modern Porsche's have been anything but reliable. There are dealers with GT3 RS 4.0's requiring new engines. Porsche reliability is a myth that continues on...

The 918 is extremely overpriced while offering nothing that is revolutionary or crazy. It is a heavy electric vehicle with potential enormous running costs in terms of future component failure. This car is a HEAVY pig. Expect substantial depreciation...

These cars are not natural progression but merely results of excessive government meddling in the choice of consumers.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Amzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond reputeAmzamus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LeatherFoot
This is a must read! The technology in this car is simply crazy.

What It's Like To Race In Porsche's $845,000 Hybrid Hypercar
Looks fu**ingly amazing. For me this over the Huayra. I love Pagani, but Porsche has created a design masterpiece.

Name:  Porsche 918 Spyder 2013 (1).jpg
Views: 2966
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  Porsche 918 Spyder 2013 (2).jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  Porsche 918 Spyder 2013 (3).jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  144.3 KB

Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
patrick95 is on a distinguished roadpatrick95 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ramius
Many of the modern Porsche's have been anything but reliable. There are dealers with GT3 RS 4.0's requiring new engines. Porsche reliability is a myth that continues on...

The 918 is extremely overpriced while offering nothing that is revolutionary or crazy. It is a heavy electric vehicle with potential enormous running costs in terms of future component failure. This car is a HEAVY pig. Expect substantial depreciation...

These cars are not natural progression but merely results of excessive government meddling in the choice of consumers.
I don't think you know what you are talking about- at all!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Teamspeed Member
ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaTricolore You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Whichever you decide upon OP (choose the huayra! ), I hope you'll bombard us with photos, driving impressions and ownership experiences

Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
My opinion of both cars is not very flattering .
Pag has one of the greatest engines ever but looks like a beached sea creature and has the interior of an old french brothel .
the 918 is a huge disappointment to me as a long term porsche fan , too heavy , 4wd , undecided direction etc etc .
Personally Im buying things from the past , great to drive , easy to maintain ( compared to a 919 !) and with cast iron residuals . You virtually get paid to drive them ( that is what I tell the wife anyway ...)

Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
suhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished road
Odd.

This is what I'd found a long time ago. I think it was written by a journo.

Something significant dies with the end of the 997's production-run: the Hans Metzger-designed flat-six motor. For some years this engine has only been used in Porsche’s GT3 and GT2 cars, all other 911s, Boxsters and Caymans using an entirely unrelated, much cheaper to manufacture, direct-injection flat-six. The Metzger engine is ancient: it was first fitted to a road-going 911 – the 964 – back in 1989 but its competition roots are older even than that. Yet this is the engine that brought Porsche its most recent Le Mans win, in 1998. It has survived so long because it’s just about indestructible. If you’re lucky enough to own a 911 powered by one of these motors, you might think its red line is somewhere you should visit sparingly. If so you’ll be interested to know that one of the routine tests to which this engine was subjected during development for use in this ultimate GT3 was to be run flat out and non-stop for 3000km. That’s London to Moscow and halfway back at full throttle.
Now who do I believe. Hmmm..

Tell me one car you know that's equipped with 2 electric motors alternating power / torque delivery to individual wheels + a race derived V8 engine sitting smack-bang in the middle of the chassis + ultra-quick dual-clutch 'box + a load of other tech.

Please don't call it a 'heavy electric vehicle'. It is neither a Prius, nor a Fisker Karma. Heck, it isn't even a Tesla S.

It is a Porsche. Period.

How can someone simply write a car off by saying things like "enormous running costs" and "substantial depreciation" when people are yet to take delivery!? Baffling.

The 918 is a showcase of what's to come. It is what the 959 was two and a half decades ago. The technology trickled down to the more affordable production cars over time. It is an exercise in engineering and an attempt to make a car that gives us glimpses of the future of automobiles as we know it. What's the govt. got to do with it?

Are you saying that companies are forced by the govt. to make low-emission hybrid cars? Wake up and smell the cow-pat my friend. We're running out of fossil fuels.

BTW, for the record, I suggested the OP have a look at the Huayra as it's a good option for the money being spent. Go back a few pages and you'll see it for yourself.

I don't think it's healthy to bash and dismiss these cars just like that. It makes you no different from those trolls on YouTube.

I mean, both these cars have positives, whichever way you look at it. If I had the money, I'd give a damn about the active-aero on the Huayra and buy it just for that mouth watering exposed gear-shifter linkage. Similarly, if I had the money, I'd get the 918 not for the hybrid tech or the torque vectoring thingy, but for those gorgeous exhaust-pipes facing the sky.

End of rant.

Last edited by suhaas307; 12-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
Carreras GT

And save $500k!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
LeatherFoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Odd.

This is what I'd found a long time ago. I think it was written by a journo.

Now who do I believe. Hmmm..

Tell me one car you know that's equipped with 2 electric motors alternating power / torque delivery to individual wheels + a race derived V8 engine sitting smack-bang in the middle of the chassis + ultra-quick dual-clutch 'box + a load of other tech.

Please don't call it a 'heavy electric vehicle'. It is neither a Prius, nor a Fisker Karma. Heck, it isn't even a Tesla S.

It is a Porsche. Period.

How can someone simply write a car off by saying things like "enormous running costs" and "substantial depreciation" when people are yet to take delivery!? Baffling.

The 918 is a showcase of what's to come. It is what the 959 was two and a half decades ago. The technology trickled down to the more affordable production cars over time. It is an exercise in engineering and an attempt to make a car that gives us glimpses of the future of automobiles as we know it. What's the govt. got to do with it?

Are you saying that companies are forced by the govt. to make low-emission hybrid cars? Wake up and smell the cow-pat my friend. We're running out of fossil fuels.

BTW, for the record, I suggested the OP have a look at the Huayra as it's a good option for the money being spent. Go back a few pages and you'll see it for yourself.

I don't think it's healthy to bash and dismiss these cars just like that. It makes you no different from those trolls on YouTube.

I mean, both these cars have positives, whichever way you look at it. If I had the money, I'd give a damn about the active-aero on the Huayra and buy it just for that mouth watering exposed gear-shifter linkage. Similarly, if I had the money, I'd get the 918 not for the hybrid tech or the torque vectoring thingy, but for those gorgeous exhaust-pipes facing the sky.

End of rant.

Very nice rant tho

Quick Reply: Share your thoughts (918 Spyder or Huayra)