Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY GT2RS Homecoming Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyatth
To be fair, that nickname was given to the 996 because it had no driver's aids. Not saying the 2rs isn't as rowdy with its power bump, but it has the aids..
I've driven the 997 GT2 and trust me when I say that it still deserves that nickname.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Teamspeed Member
Turbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BBTurbo
Wait until you drive it Jon, I think you will see what I mean. I've been thinking about this a lot all afternoon. One of the fundamental problems with this car is that it's really not designed to be exciting on the street. At 3000rpm it just cruises on the highway. Very smooth. Touch the gas and you're over 100mph before you can look down at the speedo. Circular Off ramps can be taken with one hand at 60mph with little effort. Touch the brakes at 70mph and your chest is tugging against the shoulder belt (for some reason these PCCB's seem to have even more bite than my 3RS). It's impossible to get a rush from this car without risking jail time. I think that's why I need to get it on the track. The real potential of this car is all at 100mph++ into turns and 130mph++ out of them. I know this car will easily hit 160mph at the end of the long straight at Monticello. So come late April, I'll have the track view to compare with my first street experience.
From your avatar, I think I recognize you from PCA Northeast DE's at Watkins Glen. Do you plan to run the Glen again this summer and would you bring the 2RS?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the rough
beautiful!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Hope you get to enjoy it more and more each mile...

Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
reviews like this make not having one even more real, thanks. i am looking forward to more of your reviews, especially the one coming up later this week.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
See there, an opinion from a guy who OWNS one.

Sorry to hear that you're a little dissappointed. You think Porsche made the car 'too easy' to drive; not edgy enough?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Yoops Racing is on a distinguished roadYoops Racing is on a distinguished roadYoops Racing is on a distinguished roadYoops Racing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BBTurbo
I definitely don't like the exhaust. I've owned 4 TT's, so I know not to expect much, but this exhaust is an annoying sound vs. the 3RS being intoxicating. I was really hoping to report a big WOW after my first drive. Instead I'll give it a quiet wow. We'll see what happens once I get it on the track.
First congrats on this Pcar purchase as well as the GTO purchase...those make up quite a stable of sweet cars.

I am curious about your reaction to the exhaust sound...is it because it is Turbo and it is too quiet? Maybe the fix is a Akrapovic Race system to wake it up?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
I've driven the 997 GT2 and trust me when I say that it still deserves that nickname.
I don't consider the 2RS any less safe on the street than the TT's or 3RS's. Obviously it has enough HP to get the car tail wagging at will. But with the nannies on, you would really have to do something stupid to get in trouble. The car is very planted. Tons of grip.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Turbo Al
From your avatar, I think I recognize you from PCA Northeast DE's at Watkins Glen. Do you plan to run the Glen again this summer and would you bring the 2RS?

I run the NER Aug PCA event at the Glen every year. I've already registered for this years event. But the Avatar is a pic at the Glen when the previous owner had it. I have stripped down to basic yellow again. Just added a black hood, black wheels and black winglets. No more bling graphics..

Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
See there, an opinion from a guy who OWNS one.

Sorry to hear that you're a little dissappointed. You think Porsche made the car 'too easy' to drive; not edgy enough?
The car feels "RS" edgy, from a handling standpoint. Very stiff on back roads and twitchy. It doest seem as quick to turn in, but I won't know that for sure until a track day. Get on the highway and put it 6th gear and it cruises. A ton of tire noise and a bit of exhaust drone. I really think the car has to be driven at 7/10ths to come alive. Just driving around town it's boring. It redlines so fast that you're always shifting between 1st and 2nd and even up to 3rd or 4th to try an eliminate the exhaust drone. You can't practice heel toe. At street speeds the brakes pop your eyes out of your head when you just touch the pedal. No way it gets a deep enough drop to heel toe.

Quick Reply: MY GT2RS Homecoming Pics