Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 owners, is the GT2 really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
I am a GT2 kind of guy.

GT3, for my purpose of occasional tracking and screwing around sideways on the street, does not have enough power.

I only wish that Porsche did not put any traction control device in the 997 GT cars and continue on with the widow maker reputation.

BTW, most people are scared of the GT2 because most people shouldn't even be allowed to ride a bicycle, loet along drive something like a GT2. I remember every time I gave someone who was thinking about buying one a ride, they would be all excited initially and talking, a few turns and a few corrections later, they always get really quiet, and then go, "does the car always do that? it seems really hard to handle and dangerous." This is usually when I do a really nice opposite locked slide onto the onramp and watch them grab on to the door handle.

The 996 GT2 was the best car I have ever had, and the best driving experience I have ever had.

I would always take a GT2 over a GT3.
GT3 for the track all day long better control just ask Walter.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Teamspeed Member
brim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of light
If the goal is to track it all the time and get to/from the track, then a GT3 is great. I personally would prefer a GT2.My neighbor just picked one up at a hell of a deal and I'm wishing I had the patience to wait a year - I would have bought one over my 997.2 GT3. Much better on the street, completely capable on the track.

I will pick up a 2RS when the time is right!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!turbodickie You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I own both. 08 Gt2 and a 11 GT2RS. There is no substitute for either car. I would definitely buy a GT2, it will go past a GT 3 so fast it will give it morning sickness!!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by turbodickie
I own both. 08 Gt2 and a 11 GT2RS. There is no substitute for either car. I would definitely buy a GT2, it will go past a GT 3 so fast it will give it morning sickness!!
Its a matter of preference nothing sounds like an NA car, I have owned several of both and I would take my GT3 over a 2 or any other pcar.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
Who ever said it was a POS. Resale value doesnt tell the whole story. The cars were just wayyyy to much money to begin with.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
carbon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by turbodickie
You are blessed to own both. Good for you!!!

I've always been a NA guy since ever, but I'd like to try something a bit different. My point is not how fast the GT2 depriciates, I am just curious most members here are carzy about the forthcoming 4.0 GT3 RS when a GT2 can be had for much less. Porsche being one of the most technologically advanced manufacturer when it comes to turbo engines, and the fact that GT2 can have GT3 RS for breakfast any day, let alone GT2 RS, isn't that weird GT2s are often overlooked?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
my opinion...

if you're into NA get a 7.1 GT3/RS and do a 3.9 kit

if you're into boost get a 996 GT2 and do a switzer P700 kit

Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
carbon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ZEM930
Who ever said it was a POS. Resale value doesnt tell the whole story. The cars were just wayyyy to much money to begin with.
I totally agree, resale value can not represent what a great car it is, but the reality is even with all that discount, people still wouldn't buy them.........

Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
my opinion...

if you're into NA get a 7.1 GT3/RS and do a 3.9 kit

if you're into boost get a 996 GT2 and do a switzer P700 kit
700hp on the 6 would be nuts, no traction aids!!

3 for me.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyatth
700hp on the 6 would be nuts, no traction aids!!

3 for me.
If you can handle 460HP turbo charged RWD car with no electronic driver saving gadgetry, you can handle the 700HP of it.

Quick Reply: GT2 owners, is the GT2 really that bad?