Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010 | 08:20 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MJSpeed
There's no pleasing you guys. A few years ago during the 964/993 we would have loved to have had all these choices. We never got the real 964 RS nor the 993 RS or GT2 and we didn't get the 996GT3RS.

Now we get them all and I believe that because there are so many "special" models, Porsche can bring to the US their more "track" models without it compromising the model (ie forcing us to get the sunroof or a watered down RS America) or it's luxury demanding American customer base.

I've said many times before and I'll say it again, choices are a great thing!
The difference is, that when the 964 RS was announced, we didn't have a 964 GT3, a 964 GT3 RS, a 964 GT2, a 964 American Express Centurion edition, a 964 GTS, a 964 GT2 RS, a 964 Asia special edition, A 964.2 GT3 RS with LED lights, a 964 Sport Classic OR an upcoming 964 GT3 RS Limited Edition.

Old 12-04-2010 | 09:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
NelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant future
[QUOTE=jox;777832]The difference is, that when the 964 RS was announced, we didn't have a 964 GT3, a 964 GT3 RS, a 964 GT2, a 964 American Express Centurion edition, a 964 GTS, a 964 GT2 RS, a 964 Asia special edition, A 964.2 GT3 RS with LED lights, a 964 Sport Classic OR an upcoming 964 GT3 RS Limited Edition.[/QUOTE

+1, same with 993 and 996. Porsche has gone quite bit OTT with the 997. If this is what their new product marketing intends for the future, I'm likely done
with them for while.

Old 12-04-2010 | 10:07 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NelsonF
+1, same with 993 and 996. Porsche has gone quite bit OTT with the 997. If this is what their new product marketing intends for the future, I'm likely done
with them for while.
Me too. I cringe at the thought of 38 different V8 flappy paddled 991 special editions we will most likely have over the next few years. I can only hope that someone pulls a plug on this whole thing in a few years - pretty much what someone over at Ford did with the Mustang after their horrid 80s and 90s cars nearly ruined the brand.

Although the most important aspect of all these absurd number of different variations is that they are not making every car as good as it can be, because they have to take the next slightly more expensive limited edition into the equation to justify its existence.

A 997 C2 has to be a good car, but not as good as a GT3. A GT3 can not be as good as a GT3 RS. And a GT3 RS can not be as good as a GT2 RS. And so on. So we have aaaaall these cars just a little bit worse than what they could be. It's a bit like listening to your favorite song through a wall. You know it could be better if you could just hear it in the room.

A 964 RS or a 993 RS is the result of a meeting in a time where someone said "Let's make the best track-oriented car we possibly can". And so they did. Today, that line reads "Let's make the best track-oriented car we possibly can, and then we remove half of the ideas and gradually put them on in a series of 25 different special editions over the next 5 years until we do it all over again with a new 911".

Old 12-04-2010 | 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
Me too. I cringe at the thought of 38 different V8 flappy paddled 991 special editions we will most likely have over the next few years. I can only hope that someone pulls a plug on this whole thing in a few years - pretty much what someone over at Ford did with the Mustang after their horrid 80s and 90s cars nearly ruined the brand.

Although the most important aspect of all these absurd number of different variations is that they are not making every car as good as it can be, because they have to take the next slightly more expensive limited edition into the equation to justify its existence.

A 997 C2 has to be a good car, but not as good as a GT3. A GT3 can not be as good as a GT3 RS. And a GT3 RS can not be as good as a GT2 RS. And so on. So we have aaaaall these cars just a little bit worse than what they could be. It's a bit like listening to your favorite song through a wall. You know it could be better if you could just hear it in the room.

A 964 RS or a 993 RS is the result of a meeting in a time where someone said "Let's make the best track-oriented car we possibly can". And so they did. Today, that line reads "Let's make the best track-oriented car we possibly can, and then we remove half of the ideas and gradually put them on in a series of 25 different special editions over the next 5 years until we do it all over again with a new 911".
No. The C2S came first, and then Porsche wanted to make a track oriented version of it, which is what we no know as the GT3. Once that came out, Porsche decided to make an even more track focused yet less livable, and more expensive version of the GT3, and called it the GT3 RS. Then, they basically turbocharged it, and did absolutely everything they could to make it the fastest 911 ever. The GT2 RS. If Porsche only made the 911 Carrera, and GT2 RS, nobody would ever buy Porsches. If they want a livable yet insanely fast and cheaper to maintain car, their only option would be the GT2 RS, and that hardly fits the person's picture. So, you can either have a 70k 911, or a 245k 911. Nothing in between. What Porsche is doing is fine. Porsche is just trying to appeal to all types of car enthusiasts. You know, if the Carrera's too slow, you can get your self an S. Still do slow, get a GT3, too track oriented, get a GTS, change your mind, get a GT2 RS, too expensive, get a GT3 RS etc.

I also think Porsche makes a lot of new models to keep us entertained. I think it would get pretty boring if we never saw any new Porsches besides a Carrera and 997 RS.

Old 12-04-2010 | 03:17 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
Originally Posted by Carrara
No. The C2S came first, and then Porsche wanted to make a track oriented version of it, which is what we no know as the GT3. Once that came out, Porsche decided to make an even more track focused yet less livable, and more expensive version of the GT3, and called it the GT3 RS. Then, they basically turbocharged it, and did absolutely everything they could to make it the fastest 911 ever. The GT2 RS. If Porsche only made the 911 Carrera, and GT2 RS, nobody would ever buy Porsches. If they want a livable yet insanely fast and cheaper to maintain car, their only option would be the GT2 RS, and that hardly fits the person's picture. So, you can either have a 70k 911, or a 245k 911. Nothing in between. What Porsche is doing is fine. Porsche is just trying to appeal to all types of car enthusiasts. You know, if the Carrera's too slow, you can get your self an S. Still do slow, get a GT3, too track oriented, get a GTS, change your mind, get a GT2 RS, too expensive, get a GT3 RS etc.
What?

Old 12-04-2010 | 03:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
What I'm trying too say is that if Porsche never challenged themselves to make something better, it would get really boring. Porsche is doing this to learn more. I don't think Porsche is planning to change their mind on what they're doing any time soon, so just enjoy it. And Jox, the reason Porsche keeps making these new models isn't because they're taking a all of their ideas and spreading them evenly over all of the models, it's that they keep learning new things along the way, and then they apply it to a new model.

What if there was no Speedster, Sport Classic, C2S, GT3, GT3 RS, GT3 RS LE, or GTS. Porsche would have no variety.

If Porsche decided to put all of their technology for the GT3 RS LE into the GT3, right now, there would be no such thing as a 997.2 GT3 because we'd still be waiting for it. I don't think that would make too many people want to have it.

Porsche has always been about variety, if you don't like it, Porsche isn't the brand for you. The new GT3 RS LE will be an amazing car. Nobody is forcing you to buy a GT3 RS, or a GT3, or a GTS. If you want the BEST Porsche track car, you can just wait for a GT3 RS LE, but you'll be missing out on all of the fun for 5 years.

Last edited by Carrera; 12-04-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2010 | 03:42 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
I don't think you're following what I'm arguing here.

The Porsche brand is diluted. Period. More than a handful of enthusiasts in here, myself included, are holding off future purchases because the limited edition you have on order today may as well be number x out of 2500 variants in 2 months. Or replaced by another model altogether. That is bad business. And unless you are their accountant, I don't even understand your argument. Yes, from a short-sighted business point of view, milking every single cent out of an expiring model seems reasonable. In the same way drinking your entire bottle of Château Latour before dinner is good. But then you'd have nothing, and you have to offer your dinner guests Coke zero along with your steak.

Here's the thing. The only, and I repeat - ONLY interesting car Porsche makes today is the Boxster Spyder. Not only is it the best looking car in their current lineup, or ever, really - but there is no sibling rivalry. There won't be a Boxster Spyder GT2 RS down the line, or a Boxster Spyder Turbo S GT2 RS GTS, so they made it as good as it could be from scratch.

When you're on the waiting list for your next "limited edition" Porsche in a few decades, you will understand what I mean.

Old 12-04-2010 | 03:43 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the Boxster Spyder as it is the most interesting car for me as well in the lineup.

Old 12-04-2010 | 03:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Guys, I think you're all right in what you're saying... Variety and choices is a great thing, but Porsche can hit the brakes on that a bit... They've gone too far... I also think their option list has gone crazy... If they would remove all non-S, it would be a good start... And lots of options should be standard... It's a bit out of control...

Old 12-04-2010 | 03:48 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by jox
I don't think you're following what I'm arguing here.

The Porsche brand is diluted. Period.
I wonder when Porsche will come to terms with this, or if they will.

Quick Reply: GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!