Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ptphotography
Just thinking out loud:

If I had a 2011 RS on order with say a Jan-Feb delivery and I found out that a new B.A.M.F RS is only 5 months down the road I'd be pretty angry. I ordered a brand new RS with the idea in mind that I'd own the last iteration of the N/A 997 GT3 RS. All of a sudden, while I'm anxiously awaiting my car, BOOM! Guess what owners/buyers?!?! That would really suck...

While I hope this thing does get built, I can only feel sorry for new RS owners.

End thinking.
that would be me along side with Nelson. i wait it to get the last best thing. no need for an extra car, but a good one to keep. i went pretty crazy on the spec, even PTS. knowing the current 2010 inventories can be had for a big discount (some at 20k back), i still went ahead for a custom built to spec for more $. i'm with Nelson. i hope they build it, but at this point i don't know if i will take the one i ordered. i'm not mad (maybe because i haven't taken delivery), but certainly not excited anymore. i just feel bad for the dealer. they went above & beyond to get my allocation, spec, change of spec even after the order bank is closed. now i don't know what i'll do if this is found true.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by juancooldude
Thanks for the encouraging words but I would venture to say that most of the folks who buy the GT2/3 "RS" are buying them for exclusivity and collectability. If driving was the main reason, we would have bought the base GT3 as that is more car than most "RS" owners can handle. I would venture to guess that most of us paid the extra $25K for the "RS" over the GT3 not for the 15 extra HP, but also/mainly because it was the best GT3 variant.

I understand that there will always be something newer and better, but releasing a "better" edition of a car within year of launching the current edition is a bad business model for a car company. Anger your current/loyal owners for the quick but limited profit...not good.

Coincidentally, I was within a week of securing a GT2 RS order. Not any more...
word.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Teamspeed Member
NelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant futureNelsonF has a brilliant future
Thanks for the encouraging words but I would venture to say that most of the folks who buy the GT2/3 "RS" are buying them for exclusivity and collectability. If driving was the main reason, we would have bought the base GT3 as that is more car than most "RS" owners can handle. I would venture to guess that most of us paid the extra $25K for the "RS" over the GT3 not for the 15 extra HP, but also/mainly because it was the best GT3 variant.

I understand that there will always be something newer and better, but releasing a "better" edition of a car within year of launching the current edition is a bad business model for a car company. Anger your current/loyal owners for the quick but limited profit...not good.

Agree. I believe it's a shortsighted move on Porsche's part and will not engender future loyalty from long time Porsche buyers like me. I'm disappointed having recently ordered a .2 3RS and feel misled if rumors play out. it will impact my future Porsche purchase considerations. Of course, it's still just speculation. I only hope if true, it's a differentiated hybrid version instead of a bigger displacement Mezger.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute

i guess your holding out for the GT2 RS SUPER DUPER EDITION

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
^^ You do have a point, but the whole point of buying a Porsche isn't a "status" type of thing. It's about enjoying the car. If you want a high "status" car, that's what Lamborghinis are for. I really don't think that you should never buy a Porsche again because of this special edition. Like stoppie said, enjoy the car in the best of health.

If you buy a car (PORSCHE) just for exclusivity and not what it's really about, you should not be burdened with it in the first place.

I do agree that Porsches should be exclusive, but also remember, you bought you're beautiful GT3 RS knowing that it was a standard production model, and will be replaced whether it be 1 year, or 5 years. Enjoy your awesome car, and don't keep holding out for a better thing. Remember, it's a 'special edition'. It's bound to happen, it's Porsche showing what they can do with this new technology. If it doesn't happen, the next GT3 RS won't be as good as it could be. I hope this makes sense, and have fun!

EDIT:

Originally Posted by McRae
i guess your holding out for the GT2 RS SUPER DUPER EDITION
He's not getting a new Porsche at all.

And also, if you keep waiting until the next best thing, you will end up never buying a Porsche. There will always be something better in the future.

Last edited by Carrera; 09-20-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6

He's not getting a new Porsche at all.

And also, if you keep waiting until the next best thing, you will end up never buying a Porsche. There will always be something better in the future.
it was a joke...and your quite good at stating the obvious

Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
1. Despite this thread appearing on other blogs, and despite the best intentions of the OP, maybe all of us (myself included) shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves since nothing has been confirmed yet. I'm sure we will all be among the first to know if it does come out.
2. Porsche has a slightly checkered past when it comes to dealing with customers - sometimes they are really negligent, and other times they actually listen. So while they are a complete pain in the ass when it comes to speccing (no deviated stitching on the steering wheel despite it being available for the 996 RS and the GT2RS, limited paint to sample time-windows, not being able to order a FULL set of 997.1 RS decals etc etc), they surprisingly respond to a lot of demands. Remember the s#!tfit we in the US threw over not being able to order a sunroof-less RS? Complaints about front splitters scraping the driveway? Leaves getting stuck in the front radiator inlets? Same horsepower in the regular GT3 and RS? All of those were addressed in the next iteration, whether strictly to sell more cars or because they pay special attention to the more hardcore GT buyers. So while the personalization aspect of Porsche is pretty terrible compared to a company like Ferrari, they can be receptive if the complaints are loud enough.
3. Porsche, regardless of what move they make, have to understand the business consequences, they've been around long enough. While I personally would be upset initially at a special edition of a car that is only made for 2 years, most of me would happy because a) porsche would obviously make it awesome and it is always exciting to see Porsche pushing their limits, b) it would add more history to this already legendary model line and indomitable flat six, and c) I already have a chance to drive one of the greatest cars ever created - unless I were planning on selling the car (which I hope will never happen in my lifetime) and worried about resale value, I would just be thankful that I had my shot at being a RS owner before this model run was over. We're all pretty lucky to be having these problems.
4. Does the 1500 units of Ferrari F40s make buyers like it less? The exclusivity of owning the newest, rarest Porsche is the speculator's concern, not the driver's.
5. Number of times I have driven my RS and have been pissed when I spot another RS on the street: 0 million times. Rare enough for me.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Ranger has a reputation beyond repute
My 2011 GT3 RS was my first ever Porsche. Sadly, it will be my last Porsche if this "special edition" is released.
I do not intend to be critical but your comment makes me wonder.
Do you truly love the breed? I've owned a Porsche since 1987 and love the essence of the car and could not walk away over this.
As Porsche would probably say, it's not personal it's business.

Oh and don't count on exclusivity and collectable much. Take the 997.1 GT3RS three years ago. If you were left out of an order slot some were going for $50K over MSRP. Heck it was the first RS to come stateside since what '72 or '73. Now you can find them for even under $100K.
Forget about value and resale. Buy because you love it and plan to run the $h!t out of it.
I kept my orange RS essentially a garage queen for nearly 2 years thinking of "collectable" issue. One day I though let me think of selling because why did I have it. When I got the offers, well insulted doesn't even touch my feelings. Boy was I wrong with my original thinking. So I said fuk this and began to drive the piss out of it. Man am I happy!
You love Porsche for what it represents to motorsports. A drivers car especially the GT3/RS.

Ranger

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing I can say is the economy still sucks and Porsche still needs to sell a certain number of 911s. That's why they keep coming out with all these special editions! Just like the 90's 964. - RS America, Speedster, America Roadster, 94 Widebody C4, turbo S flaubach

Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant future
I am just not a fan of the unpainted CF hood, but I would accept it

Quick Reply: GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!