Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a turbo for the first time....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Drove a turbo for the first time....

I have always been more into raw feel, responsiveness, feedback, agility etc so I always tagged myself a GT3 kinda guy. I owned a C2S cab briefly, but have never driven a Turbo. I always hear they are more of a GT car and much softer and a better daily driver.

The clutch was much lighter, which i don't prefer and I thought the engagement was strange, think it is hydraulic?...I find the gt3 clutch just perfect ...I was actually impressed with the responsiveness of the throttle set to sport mode...although when floored you could feel the 1 second delay for the turbos to go full spool then off you go. Im probably crazy but it didnt feel fast, well faster than the .2 GT3. I think it's cause its so smooth, in the 3 you feel everything more so maybe that makes it feel faster. I do hear they are similar stock for stock in a straight line. Shifter felt just like my last C2S shifter, has a great feel, smooth, light compared to the 3 but firmer than other cars ive driven such as M3 or RS4. Great for a sports car, although I do love the 3's shifter, reminds me of a riffle bolt. I didnt think the steering was changed or lost lack of feel from from being AWD as some say but i didnt get to hit turns too much really so hard to say when precise steering is required. Missed the high redline and I was not thrilled by the sound of the engine or the exhaust at all. The interior noise was much less, the ride was softer but not that much really. I feel the the new 3 does pretty well at soaking up the bumps for as stiff as it is. The experience of the turbos is so different, like a suction or time warp, although linear didnt feel peaky at all...a nice smooth pull from low rpm up(only prior experience with turbo engines is on small 4 bangers). Also the the low end trq does feel nice, but in comparison the 3 revs up faster and gets me into its power band fast enough for me, Im sure the RS does it even faster.

When I hopped back into my 3, I remember how much I love this Car. I think I forget how good it is, so a good reminder is to drive something else, then hop in your car and smile. I didnt write this to put down the turbo cause for some, if not most it is the better car...all cars are suited for different people. I hate the debates of X vs Y, mine is better than yours, prefer I like X for this and Y for that...but I remember I was looking for comparisons online from owners and couldnt always find them...so after a brief drive and a long day, thought I would share.

share my love for the gt3 that is

Hope I didnt waste your time if you read this.
(note was a 997.1 TT)

Old 09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
topturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your review.

So I take it you'd rather have your GT3 as a daily driver despite the turbo's smoothness?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by topturbo
Thanks for your review.

So I take it you'd rather have your GT3 as a daily driver despite the turbo's smoothness?
Yes sir! It is my only car. For myself and small # of people it is fine as a daily...but for 99% of people the TT is best as a daily. It all comes down to what you want in a car.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
the stock turbo clutch is horrible but it can be easily fixed and, yes, no turbo car sounds as good as its NA counterpart - turbos are basically mufflers.

thanks for the write-up - would love to see more like it w/ people who own/drive different cars.

- chuck