Notices
General Mercedes-Benz General Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Drove the new E-Class today

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Drove the new E-Class today

This weekend MB is hosting their launch event for the new E-class and I got an invitation in the mail.

I've had invitations for similar MB events in the past but I never bothered to actually go. The organisation was ok, the capuccino was excellent and the hostesses were pretty hot. Unfortunately the fastest car there was the E350(CDI) and we didn't get to drive the E Coupe. On to the car itself; we only drove E350 because the lesser versions are for taxi drivers only anyway.

I think the car had the AMG stylingpack (I know zero about Mercedii so don't shoot me if I'm wrong) because it looked like this but then in black:

The front looks decent but from the rear it still a copy of a Hyundai. The exterior gets 3/5 points. The interior is dissapointing IMO. I don't like the design, the materials feel pretty cheap, I hate the American style gearlever thing, the wood looks fake and nasty and it didn't feel as roomy as it should in the front. The speedo is hard to read and there are too many stalks behind the wheel. Seats were great though. 2 out of 5 points.

Driving around the car was of course very comfortable thanks to the optional air suspension, the car felt pretty floaty at times though. Especially when going over bumps at speed. Through the bends the car sometimes had to settle itself before inspiring the confidence you'd expect from a €100k (yes it really is that expensive) car. Perhaps if you play around with the suspension settings things get better, I think we left it in Normal the entire drive. It ain't no 5er that's for sure but of course you'd expect this sort of behaviour from a Merc so it still gets 4/5 for driving experience.

The car brakes well and there's plenty of punch for autobahn overtaking. According to the Heinrich from Benz it tops out at 248 km/h and gets to 100 km/h in a little under 7 seconds. Sadly, we couldn't verify these claims. And in part, that was due to the gearbox which seems to have a mind of its own. Yes it shifts supersmooth but from time to time it takes ages for it to drop a few cogs and get a move on if you step on the loud pedal. One time it literally took 5 seconds (I counted) with the pedal all the way to the floor to engage the kickdown. It does have flappy padles but I'm not sure they're actually connected to the gearbox in any form.

So for cruising the gearbox gets 5/5, for anything else 3/5.

Should you buy one? Well if you're over 70 years old and want a comfy car to float you from your retirement home to the country club and back you'll probably like this car. Wonder why the typeface used on the navi/radio is ultra LARGE...

I wouldn't though, because there's such a much more enticing alternative in the Jaguar XF. Nicer interior, comfortable enough and it's a lot more entertaining to drive. I never really liked the E60 5 series and its design is starting to age now. The A6 is a nice car too but you have to get at least the S-line pack because it's too bland otherwise.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
so you confirmed what I feared it looks bad in the metal..... such a shame

Old 04-18-2009, 11:23 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
How many points for all the rust?

Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't really surprise me, but I was happy to read that the XF would be more than a worthy opponent to this car. Go Jag! Mercedes is really dropping the ball in the styling department right now, but perhaps this is just a phase like when Bangle joined BMW. Even still, with Bangle's goofy design elements, BMW sold more cars than ever before so maybe people will actually want this?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
How many points for all the rust?
Yadda yadda yadda

Shut up Carmella, you're the only one on TS who actually owns an E.