Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

How to Clean Soft Top ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
How to Clean Soft Top ?

Hello,

I couldn't find posts about cleaning the soft-top, can any of the detailers of the forum show me a tutorial like the other detail threads but specifically for a soft-top.

That would be much appreciated.

How easy is it for the soft top to fade in colour and restore ? Would that process of fading speed up if the car was exposed to frequent cleaning and dust( I live in a dusty region and I don't have a closed garage ie exposed from both sides not like an underground garage). I am thinking of getting a car with a soft top in the near future, I just want to know what I am in for, seems the most ideal solution is to cover the car when not driven to reduce the times I need to clean it.

Thank you in advance,

Mo

Last edited by MeanMachine; 03-09-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
get a pet hair roller, that will pick up all the tint, dust.

wash it with car wash detergent every once in a while. the rest of the time, a rinse with spraying water is fine.

use a protectant spray to keep it in good shape. i'd spray it every 6 mo if the car is exposed often. if the car will sit in element for a while, a good car cover will greatly protect it.

lastly, keep the top up, not down. it will prevent the top from cracks and creases

Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Ive used RaggTopp on a faded 996 soft top and it came out really well. Also heard of people using Aerospace 303 to give a little UV protection. In your case you can vacuum the roof down before you wash to keep the sand under control.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 AM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
is the 458 spider for sure going to be a soft top?

im assuming to not cannibalize california sales?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Mohd, maybe you should post pix on the weather in Kuwait for the guys to better understand what it is you are dealing with

Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Affects of the weather

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned
TOGWT is an unknown quantity at this point
Convertible Top Cleaning / Care Convertible top care - Corvette Forum

Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Teamspeed Member
Majki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond repute
I own BMW e46 Convertible, with soft top. In my opinion, cabrio must have soft top, hard top is s***. I think cabrio is the best for crusing in spring and autumn, but in summer is to hot during the day, but in the evening and at night, is beautifull to drive top less.

I clean soft top with normal pre-wash foam, like all car, but not every time when I wash my car. But the most important is, that you spray soft top with special silicone spray, which protect it from sun and rain. And than when you put some water on soft top, the effect is like when you put water on waxed car.
You can buy set for cleaning and waterproofing in any BMW shop and service. And I belive, other car brands have their own products.

I have to mention, the biggest problem in cabrio is dust, when you take roof down, after 5 km you can find dust on dash and seats.