Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Just Restored My Disgusting Shiny Steering Wheel To New!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Ian
Teamspeed Member
Ian has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura about
Just Restored My Disgusting Shiny Steering Wheel To New!

My 350zTT's steering wheel has been gross for years. It's been very shiny lately and just made the car look dated and neglected.

I just restored it using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponge. I wish I had pics for you but my replacement camera charger hasn't arrived yet.

Just hoping to help anyone out there who is tired of their shiny wheel and wants it to look new again!

Be well

Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
What does it look like now?

I would be up for a try, but I cannot imagine anything from Mr. Clean being leather-friendly.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
saleen93-11 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use it too. It really gives you that dull new leather feel. Takes away that plastic leather feel.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Ian
Teamspeed Member
Ian has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura aboutIan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
What does it look like now?

I would be up for a try, but I cannot imagine anything from Mr. Clean being leather-friendly.
It looks and feels like brand new dull leather in a new car. Just in case, apply some leather conditioner afterward. It will look shiny again of course but once dry, just nice dull like-new leather.

Originally Posted by saleen93-11
I use it too. It really gives you that dull new leather feel. Takes away that plastic leather feel.
Exactly! I'm thrilled with it. I'm so happy to make something old and dirty look brand new.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned
TOGWT is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by saleen93-11
That's because you've removed its protective topcoat

Leather covered steering wheel:

Steering wheels have an extra coating of protective finish on the already finished or coated leather. Perspiration and dirt are absorbed readily into the dry leather, and combined with the ultra violet (UV-B) radiation of the sun a chemical reaction occurs that degrades the finished leather. All of us have seen this wear on steering wheels

Using leather oil-based conditioners on finished leather may cause delamination from the leather substrate. As the oils will permeate the leather via the stitching or any micro-cracks in the surface, once oil gets between the urethane and the substrate it causes loss of adhesion (See also Oil and Oil based Products)

Most manufacturer’s advice against using oil-based conditioners on steering wheels as it makes the surface slippery and could be dangerous if you lose control of the vehicles steering

1. Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Masters™ Strong Effect Cleaner ) or a de-greaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependant upon type and extent of soil or stain
2. For oil or grease stains use Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning this type of stain as it dissolves the oils and transforms them into a powder that is more absorbent than the leather. This powder is what is wiped off, cleaning and degreasing the leather. Allow the white powder to dry fully. If the powder is drying to a yellow colour, it means that there are still a lot of oils in the leather.
3. Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into a foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process).
4. Then use vacuum extractor or compressed air nozzle to dry
5. Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply Leather Masters™ Leather Protection

Do not use an abrasive on the surface as you’ll remove the protective topcoat (UV-B)

Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Ooooo Good info! I'd love to see pictures of what it looks like.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
saleen93-11 is an unknown quantity at this point
I won't argue your claims. I have used leather masters. Great products. My hands sweat a lot in the summer. I've tried everything on my steering wheels. Nothing worked. I won't use the magic erase on another part of the car except the steering wheel and shifter. The rest of the car gets the good leather treatment. I don't think I am causing any damage. I'm not taking off any of the black off the leather. I just give it a couple of swipes with a damp eraser and then micro towel off. BRAND NEW steering wheel. I also did it on my M3 (99) the color stitching is like brand new and bright. do what you want, but I won't stop using it. I do it about 3 times a year for about 1 1/2 years now and have not noticed any adverse effect.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Ian
Teamspeed Member
Thanks for the great specific info instead of just telling me I screwed up and leaving it at that negative point. I'll try your suggestions next time it needs cleaning (saved them in my detailing folder). For now I too haven't noticed any blackness lost from the leather, just nasty shininess gone and the stitching looks great again. But I'd rather do your way next time if it is less risky to the leather.