Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

VIDEO: Chris Harris Drives The New Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kelderek
Cost!

Boxsters have a lower profit margin, Porsche wants to cut the cost by using the 6 speed.
The 7 speed is actually the PDK with just one clutch. More expensive, but the high profit margin on a 911 can carry it.

The real mystery is why they charge such a premium for the PDK on a 991... that's one very expensive extra clutch...
it's not just another clutch. thar be black magic in that shit!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Teamspeed Member
GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I love the new boxster... didn't like the old one much at all. I wonder if the new cayman will look better or worse than the boxster

Old 03-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
One more clutch? Well you clearly know nothing about the 7 speed. Nothing.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
adamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Kelderek
Cost!

Boxsters have a lower profit margin, Porsche wants to cut the cost by using the 6 speed.
The 7 speed is actually the PDK with just one clutch. More expensive, but the high profit margin on a 911 can carry it.

The real mystery is why they charge such a premium for the PDK on a 991... that's one very expensive extra clutch...
They have both a 7-speed PDK and the very 1st 7-speed manual I believe.

His reviews are very in touch with the viewer. Really loving the video series he's doing.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Teamspeed Member
Kelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura aboutKelderek has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adamls2
They have both a 7-speed PDK and the very 1st 7-speed manual I believe.
Correct, but they are both derived from the same ZF unit. The 7 speed manual is a manual version of the already existing PDK.

I chatted with a Porsche mechanic about it and he told me that it appeared as a pretty expensive solution. The mechanism that prevents you from going to 7th gear unless you have 5th or 6th already selected is increadibly complex. And probably expensive.

That's why I believe that the choice to have just a six speed manual in the 981 is purely about cost.

Last edited by Kelderek; 03-26-2012 at 03:20 AM.