Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

VIDEO - Chris Harris drives the McLaren MP4 12C

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow VIDEO - Chris Harris drives the McLaren MP4 12C

The Chris Harris Video we have all been waiting for!!!

YouTube - McLaren MP4 12C

The new McLaren MP4-12C, rival to the Ferrari 458 Italia, offspring of Ron Dennis. It costs £168,500, so is cheaper than the Ferrari, too.
Technical highlights?

No roll bars, no LSD, hydraulically supported and connected suspension, adaptive dampers, a little under 600bhp, 1301kg dry, carbon tub, optional ceramic brakes, brake assist, twin turbochargers. More technology than we’ve ever seen in a sports car before.

What’s it like to drive?

Unlike any other sports car because it separates the roles of ride and roll-stiffness. On a straight, bumpy road, it’s more comfortable than a Merc E-Class, change direction and it’s sharper than a GT3. There are 3 chassis modes: comfort, sport and track which bring increased roll-stiffness and more relaxed intervention from the ESP. The powertrain is remarkable in its strength and ease-of-use: the MP4 is noticeably quicker than a 458, doesn’t feel that turbocharged and makes a great noise. Crucially, you can separate the chassis functions from the powertrain (again, comfort, sport and track) so it’s possible to have sharp throttle response and faster gearshifts, with supple suspension. It is the most talented machine I have ever driven.

How does it compare?

To what? I mean can you think of an obvious rival? Only kidding – it’s faster than a Ferrari 458 Italia, has more useable performance, rides better, has more mechanical grip and is much, much more useable.

Anything else I should know?

Yes - that no one understands the emotional side to these machines like Ferrari does, and the MP4-12C, for all its brilliance, serves as a reminder. It’s not unemotional, it sounds great in ‘track’ mode, it steers beautifully and its engineering is intriguing – but it is a car you admire deeply rather than one you sell your family to own. As you can tell, I need more space to tell this story…
Source & Video [EVO]

Old 02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I have not watched the video.

But I will say that - after his Ferrari rant - I fully expect him to LOVE this car and give it major props.

I think trashing Ferrari is going to backfire on him and hurt his credibility for a while.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Fine piece of tech for sure. Why does it have to look so damn blah? And stupid paddles FTL.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Member
Yami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura aboutYami has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Barrister

But I will say that - after his Ferrari rant - I fully expect him to LOVE this car and give it major props.

I think trashing Ferrari is going to backfire on him and hurt his credibility for a while.
X2 not good to go agaist Ferrari....

Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute

Credibility? I think it did WONDERS for his credibility as an honest journalist, not one that bows and genuflects at the sound of Ferrari's name.

Now, did it hurt his relationship with Ferrari and other manufacturers? Probably, as now they now know he won't stick his head up anyone's ass to ensure he's one of the first to drive the next press car.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Credibility? I think it did WONDERS for his credibility as an honest journalist, not one that bows and genuflects at the sound of Ferrari's name.

Now, did it hurt his relationship with Ferrari and other manufacturers? Probably, as now they now know he won't stick his head up anyone's ass to ensure he's one of the first to drive the next press car.
Feel the same way sir

Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
His "honest journalism" sounded a lot like sour grapes to me.

I think he felt slighted because Ferrari didn't kiss HIS ass.

Reasonable minds can disagree. Just a different perspective.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
His "honest journalism" sounded a lot like sour grapes to me.

I think he felt slighted because Ferrari didn't kiss HIS ass.

Reasonable minds can disagree. Just a different perspective.
No we can't. You're wrong....lol, j/k

But I must be missing something about the story. Where is it said or implied that Ferrari needed to kiss his bum?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
dana, his point was the cars were great and didn't need all the media scrutiny by ferrari. the controlling aspect of the parent company could put a false bias against the road cars from journos. it's unnecessary.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
I love his reviews!! He's the best
It's not just a boring normal review like "this car has 600 hp, this car does 0-60 in 3.2, this car is a rival bla bla".

Quick Reply: VIDEO - Chris Harris drives the McLaren MP4 12C