Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

My SLS woes... what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Bisan is on a distinguished roadBisan is on a distinguished roadBisan is on a distinguished road
My SLS woes... what should I do?

I'll try to keep it simple...

We purchased a 2012 SLS on November 7th 2011 it arrived to the dealership a few days before. Picked it up with 36 miles. Over the course of the first week it had about 400 miles on it.

On Wednesday November 16th the car locked its transmission in park with the ebrake on and wouldnt let it disengage. After speaking to the dealership they had to send a tech to my house to put a hub-bearing on the wheel to get the car to roll. We had to push it down my drive (since the design of my garage wouldn't let a tow truck get to it.

They stated this has happened to a few people from 2011 model year; cars called for a new transmission, I wasn't happy about this, then they came back and said the control unit was bad and replaced it. Picked up the car on November 18th everything seemed fine.

Fast forward a week car was driven once since its trip to the dealership. I noticed the front grill had been pushed in and the tow hook cover kept coming lose. ZIP TIED it in place and drove to the dealership today the 28th.

November 28th drove to the dealership, they fixed the clips on the grill and sent me on my way. When I got home I noticed smoke bellowing out of the passenger side front end. Oil leak was hitting oil cooler and burning off.

Also noticed both headlights were flooded with water, (very heavy condensation). I am driving the car back to the dealership tomorrow.

Now here is my issue the dealership is 65 miles away from my house. In the first 3 weeks of ownership the car has had to be returned to the dealership 3 times. So out of the 700 miles on my car now 260 of them have been spent driving it to the dealership.

I know the car is not considered a lemon since they are different issues, but put yourself in my shoes. What would you do?

A) Ask for compensation for the hassle?
B) Ask them to find you a new car?
C) Demand they take the car back and go buy something more reliable?

I understand its a low production car, but most of these bugs should have been handled in the 2011 models.

I'm keeping my cool but just want some feedback on what you guys think its fair. Great site by the way, sadly this might be my first thread and its not a positive one!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Kill it with fire

Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
If you're in the US- go directly to MBUSA.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I would be absurdly pissed...if they handle all the issues different story but it doesn't speak much for QA...

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
If you're in the US- go directly to MBUSA.
^^What he said and btw welcome to TEAMSPEED!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
burnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond repute
All of the above.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
and even if this car screams at you and leaves an oil slick that BP would be proud of, lets see some pics!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Bisan is on a distinguished roadBisan is on a distinguished roadBisan is on a distinguished road
Should I wait to see what they tell me tomorrow, will they come back and offer me compensation on their own? Or being the bad guy is the only way I get compensation?

Plus I've bought 5 cars from this dealership and have an amazing relationship with them. And they have been great in all of this, I don't want to ruin that... Since they really do roll out the red carpet for me. But NEED compensation for the hassle.

Thanks for the quick info guys!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Talk to your SA, and put a call into MBUSA... I'm sure the dealer won't fork up the cash but you can prob get something out MB. A letter from an attorney always helps to speed things up. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
Go direct to the source , MB USA or AMG Affalterbach . I must admit my sls has been absolutely bombproof . I use it as my daily driver and it gets death 24/7 .
Im sure they will put it right , it depends if you still want the car . Personally id let them sort it , it is a fantastic car .
Think you should get the matching AMG Luggage or racing shoes etc as a thank you for being such a cool customer though .

Quick Reply: My SLS woes... what should I do?