Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

R & T Tests the SL65 BS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned
AMG_Black has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by allanlambo
Not really. Same day same time... Lou who is the current World Record holder for an SL65 @10.85... My SLR bone stock... each run the SLR trapped 4-5mph HIGHER than he did...

Acichelli....
Who is on 6 speed has both a Renntech Sl65, SLR and Lambo Lp640

60-130mph

Lp640-7.85
Sl65 7.45
SlR 7.2

0-100mph
Lp640 7.45
Sl65 7.38
SLR 6.9

After mods his SLR ran 10.90@134.5 , 0-100 in 6.38, and 60-130 in 6.65
First of all, the SL Black is almost all carbon fiber as well. Even the hood and engine casing are both all carbon fiber. Second of all, the SL Black is different than a renntech sl65. Renntech basically just adds more power and a few other things to the car. The Black is built from scratch to handle around a track. That's the whole point of the widebody, wing, etc. The european version is more of a track car because of their bucket seats, but the US version was tweaked a little before the release in order to make them perform the same, despite the weight difference. The SLR is really just a flashy roadcar, but is still very fast no doubt. According to the official benz specs though, both accelerate nearly just as fast. Yours is a 5.5L 617hp Supercharged V8 and mine is a 6.0L 670hp V12 Biturbo, so mine makes up for it's weight. Both are obviously very capable cars, it all comes down to a matter of opinion.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BigE
I have no doubt , nor was I insinuating in any way, that you or anyone else in this forum would use the SL65 BS as it was intended to be used.... I wonder if Paris Hilton takes her SLR to the track?
She's a perfect example of one of those people who buy high end cars and don't do shit with it but crash it, as she already did. There's this guy who just bought an SLR 722 from my dealership, and his car is still sitting in the dealer's car lot,because his waiting for his garage to finish being remodeled. His plan with the car is to do absolutely nothing with it but keep it parked in his garage. He says that he's too afraid to drive it and is even having it delivered to his house on a flatbed instead of driving it home himself. Another one of those people who I just hate. I would of probably gotten the car for myself if he hadn't bought it, but the only thing is that they are rare and hard to find around here in LA. Such a waste though. It's shameful.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
allanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AMG_Black
First of all, the SL Black is almost all carbon fiber as well. Even the hood and engine casing are both all carbon fiber. Second of all, the SL Black is different than a renntech sl65. Renntech basically just adds more power and a few other things to the car. The Black is built from scratch to handle around a track. That's the whole point of the widebody, wing, etc. The european version is more of a track car because of their bucket seats, but the US version was tweaked a little before the release in order to make them perform the same, despite the weight difference. The SLR is really just a flashy roadcar, but is still very fast no doubt. According to the official benz specs though, both accelerate nearly just as fast. Yours is a 5.5L 617hp Supercharged V8 and mine is a 6.0L 670hp V12 Biturbo, so mine makes up for it's weight. Both are obviously very capable cars, it all comes down to a matter of opinion.
LOL, you really have no clue.... I bring up a carbon fiber frame.. you bring up a carbon fiber hood..

The SLR will lay waste to the black series on ANY track...

Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Member
LBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL, you really have no clue.... I bring up a carbon fiber frame.. you bring up a carbon fiber hood..

The SLR will lay waste to the black series on ANY track...
Reeeeeealy? ANY track? I know quite a few people that have tracked their SLR's in a serious way and all of them said they needed the full support of the Woking mechanics to run their cars hard including many spare parts on hand.

Unless you are talking about the 722 GT. (not really a SLR anyway)

One of the things that is so nice about the Black Series cars is that they are built to sustain repeated track abuse under a full warranty. It is quite amazing what I have put my CLK Black through on track without replacing anything other than tires and brakes.

Let's be honest, neither the SLR or SL Black is a true track car but based on my experience, I would track a SL Black hard long before a SLR.

Perhaps we should give a few of them some time to show up at tracks before we continue the jaw jacking bench racing.....

Old 02-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Is there anyone here who has actually DRIVEN both an SLR and SL65 BS on a track? If so, can you please chime in with some real world perspective on this subject......

Again, both of them are seriously fast.....Paris Hilton owns and drives an SLR, she would not be caught dead in an SL65 BS. "its not cute enough, its too mean looking and low, it looks like it would kill small animals just by driving by them...."

Old 02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BigE
Is there anyone here who has actually DRIVEN both an SLR and SL65 BS on a track? If so, can you please chime in with some real world perspective on this subject......

Again, both of them are seriously fast.....Paris Hilton owns and drives an SLR, she would not be caught dead in an SL65 BS. "its not cute enough, its too mean looking and low, it looks like it would kill small animals just by driving by them...."
Ive taken the european version of the SL Black around Laguna Seca, and drove the SLR at the AMG Driving Academy. Unless you've driven the SL Black, or even the CLK Black, you can't criticize them about their handling just because they are based on normal road cars. A CLK and SL Black are completely different from a normal CLK and SL, even the AMG versions. They don't just throw in more power and add a widebody, they completely rebuild it from scratch to handle better for track use. They are built with the DTM cars in mind. And i wasn't saying that only my hood is carbon fiber, because the entire body is. I was just saying that even when you lift the hood, you can see all of the carbon fiber plates exposed. Even on the exterior and interior, you can see the cb diffuser, bumper lip, dashboard, etc. The rest is obviously just hidden under the body.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
allanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond repute
Ive taken the european version of the SL Black around Laguna Seca, and drove the SLR at the AMG Driving Academy. Unless you've driven the SL Black, or even the CLK Black, you can't criticize them about their handling just because they are based on normal road cars. A CLK and SL Black are completely different from a normal CLK and SL, even the AMG versions. They don't just throw in more power and add a widebody, they completely rebuild it from scratch to handle better for track use. They are built with the DTM cars in mind. And i wasn't saying that only my hood is carbon fiber, because the entire body is. I was just saying that even when you lift the hood, you can see all of the carbon fiber plates exposed. Even on the exterior and interior, you can see the cb diffuser, bumper lip, dashboard, etc. The rest is obviously just hidden under the body.
You seriously want to defend a 4300lb tank as a track car....

Old 02-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Banned
You seriously want to defend a 4300lb tank as a track car....
no because it isn't, it's just designed to drive on one.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
no because it isn't, it's just designed to drive on one.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Luis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond repute
Nice car, I'd take an SLR though.