Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

R & T Tests the SL65 BS

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Driver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond repute
Post R & T Tests the SL65 BS

A Benz from the Dark Side, with DTM-inspired bodywork and a twin-turbo twelve.
With the U.S. economy in a recession and the worldwide automotive market struggling...could there be a worse time for Mercedes to launch the $300,000 SL65 AMG Black Series? Maybe not. Maybe the Black Series is exactly what we need — a twin-turbocharged boost of fresh air, a rolling testament to all that is good and fun in the car world. Sometimes you just have to live a little. The gargantuan race-car-like fenders draw people to the Black Series like bugs to a windshield. Mired in Los Angeles traffic, people were laughing, cheering, waving and giving thumbs-up signs as the Black Series drove by — few cars have the mesmeric effect of this silver-bullet Benz. At one point a guy in a Mugen Civic shot across five lanes of traffic to follow the Black Series off an exit, just so he could get a closer look.

Based on the SL65 AMG, the Black Series adds an all-new body and ditches the non-purist retractable roof in favor of a fixed carbon-fiber version with an integrated rollbar. Thanks to the use of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) for the front fenders, hood, front fascia and trunklid, Mercedes says 210 lb. have been shaved off the standard car. The Black Series' second most imposing feature is its deep front fascia, dominated by two huge, mesh-covered air intakes which feed the twin charge coolers (M-B says the extra air makes them 30 percent more effective) for the turbocharged V-12. One minor annoyance: The carbon-fiber fuel flap was hard to open and didn't sit flush with the body.

Full Story: Road and Track - Road Test: Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series

Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
What the heck?
The SL65 BS runs the 1/4 mile in 11.8 at 126.3?

RENN's SL65 PKG1 ($6800, plus the going price of an SL65) runs it a bit quicker, for WAY less money.

Every penny counts ... YouTube - RENNTECH Tuned SL65 Carnage

Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GroupB
What the heck?
The SL65 BS runs the 1/4 mile in 11.8 at 126.3?

RENN's SL65 PKG1 ($6800, plus the going price of an SL65) runs it a bit quicker, for WAY less money.

Every penny counts ... YouTube - RENNTECH Tuned SL65 Carnage

or you could just mod an Evo or something.....

we all know that the Black Series is not just about the performance, it's about baller status

Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
God I love that car.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
@ Raul: so true.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Man, that thing just flies! I'd love to hear more exhaust sound and less music.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Man, that thing just flies! I'd love to hear more exhaust sound and less music.
Here's an S65 (not even an SL even) being driven with a RENN PKG1 at 11.069 and over 128 mph.

RENNTECH NEWS: <font face="Arial" size="2">11.069</font>

Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Banned
AMG_Black has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm picking up my SL Black on monday, which is the official release date of the car. In return, i'll be getting rid of my current SL65 since it'll serve no purpose to have 2 SLs.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AMG_Black
I'm picking up my SL Black on monday, which is the official release date of the car. In return, i'll be getting rid of my current SL65 since it'll serve no purpose to have 2 SLs.
Nice! Report back with some pics.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AMG_Black
Post pics as soon as you can! We would love to be the first to get them. May be the first one in the country!

I would be willing to drive up to Beverly Hills and take some shots of it and a quick video for the site if you would let me. A tank of gas on me!

Quick Reply: R & T Tests the SL65 BS