Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

C&D Tests the 991!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Post C&D Tests the 991!

I just downloaded the August edition of C&D and there is a fantastic article where Car & Driver were allowed to join Porsche for final shake-down testing of the 991 in South Africa. Biggest problem: my Zinio for iPad app doesn't have any copy/paste functionality...so here's the highlights that I see:

* Carrera S to have 400 HP
* Carrera to have 350 HP, share 3.4l engine w/ Boxster S
* 2 trannys: 7-spd manual and 7-spd PDK
* Launch Control available on both transmissions
* 2.5 in longer, 4 in longer wheelbase
* longer wheel base to accommodate HYBRID drivetrain in 2016 mid-cycle refresh
* 12-15% improved fuel efficiency (euro cycle)
* electronic parking brake
* full-length sunroof
* 19-in wheels standard on Carrera, 20-in on Carrera S (20s optional on Carrera)

The article doesn't appear to be on C&D website yet, so if I can figure out how to copy/paste, I will.

Also, VERY clear pic of interior below...looks like a 2-dr Panny to be honest.

FEATURE: THE DESERT FOX
Porsche's new 911 is in final development in South Africa. We tag along for a ride.
by Juergen Zoellter
Beyond the lift-throttle oversteer, beyond the repair bills, and beyond the accusations of sexual inadequacy, most Porschephiles' longest-standing fear is that Zuffenhausen is going to screw up the 911. This is especially true when they know there are big changes coming. Well, this new 911, code-named 991 and set to debut in September, is larger and built to accommodate a hybrid powertrain. How's that for terrifying? Kinda makes watercooled engines seem like small- er cup holders, no? But if our first experience with the preproduction car is any indication, there's nothing to fear.

We have flown to South Africa to join August Achleitner, the man known as "Mr. 911," responsible for all 911-series cars, and 991 project leader Bernd Kahnan for the car's final chassis-tune shakedown. First question to Achleitner: "How will you keep the soul of the 911 intact?" He smiles and urges calm. "We sharpened the 911 by making it faster, more responsive, safer, and more environmentally friendly. But we didn't mess it up!"

That's certainly true of the bodywork, which is stretched and pulled but still unmistakably 911, even under the camouflage. The car's body is 2.2 inches longer than the outgoing 997 and sits on a 4.0-inch-longer wheelbase. This is to make real estate available for the coming-for-2016 hybrid version's electric motor and components. The front and rear overhangs are shorter, by 1.3 and 0.5 inch respectively, and the car's roofline is lower by 0.5 inch. Because our particular 911 S is outfitted with the sport suspension, it crouches an additional 0.7 inch closer to the pavement.

Dimensional changes to the greenhouse may seem equally small on paper, but they have the effect of making the whole car look sleeker. The windshield is more convex and its rake faster in the interest of aerodynamics -- the new 911's Cd is a claimed 0.29, identical to the 997's. Porsche moved the base of the A-pillars forward by 1.4 inches. And the center bottom of the glass punches out by a meaningful 3.2 inches so that, in combination with a full-length sunroof and more shoulder room, the cabin feels much airier than before. But the back seat is still only useful for the tiniest of children and dogs. Standing on 19- (regular 911) and 20-inch (911 S, optional for 911) wheels, the 991 looks ready to pounce.
For the full article head over to Car and Driver or download it to your Ipad via their app in Itunes

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Nice find dude - thanks for posting.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
As interesting as this article is, it doesn't make me want one. As I have no doubt that the 991 will be 'better' in every way, it will also be larger, which is a deal-breaker for me. I love the compact & sporty feel of my 997. If I wanted more room, I would have stuck with my P2S.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah same here. I'm going old school on my next 911... It'll be sticky-worthy.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for this post Cajun! It was great.

I'll admit, I was nervous the next 911 would be a bloated unconnected piece of junk, but after reading thisl I have no worries at all.

I like how the Carrera and Carrera S are more differentiated than they were before, and I love how the Carrera - is three seconds faster around the Nordschleife than... A GT3! I also like their investment for the future of the manual transmission, and how they fiddled with the dynamics to make it perform like it's wheelbase is actually shorter. Only two more months of waiting for this car! But... I will always have a large and special spot in my heart for the 997, no matter what.

Once again thanks for this fantastic read! Would you happen to have the interior picture to post?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
burnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond reputeburnzie has a reputation beyond repute
Not impressed.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Carrera

Once again thanks for this fantastic read! Would you happen to have the interior picture to post?
I'm traveling, so only have iPhone right now. So, this is the best I can do right now:

Last edited by dallascajun; 06-28-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Interior is very 928-ish no?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
I love every aspect of the interior, and am relieved that the console isn't bloated like the Panamera's, but the door panel treatments just don't belong IMHO.

Thanks for such a great image, it suffices!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute
I'm ordering one - I'm all for the new interior and I firmly believe once the camo is lifted the haters will come around. Super excited.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C&D Tests the 991!