Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

need help -raid, network attached

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:04 PM
|
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
need help -raid, network attached

I want to put a mirrored 1TB drive (2 total) on my time capsule network.

I will be using this for a music server, hence why I won't it mirrored. If I rip 500 cds in lossless, I don't want to do it again if the drive crashes.

I tried a lacie 2tb usb drive, and either it was malfunctioning or would not do what I needed. Lacie, Nacconncetion and Apple were no help. Each blamed the other.

So now it looks like I might need a NAS??

My networking skills are limited to turning on my time capsule and having everything work.

Please help someone!!

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:11 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
You can just plug any external USB drive into the time capsule and it'll work. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Two copies of the time capsule data?

If so, just plug one in, do a backup, and plug the other in. You'll need to swap the drives back and forth from time to time in order to have a fresh set of data on both, but if the data isn't changing very often it's a workable solution.

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:45 PM
|
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
I want the drive to be accessible by a sonos music system. so some type of wireless access to a mirrored hard drive. The lacie kept flashing that one of the drives was not working despite being set to 100% mirror.
The usb port on the TC shouldn't care whether it is attached to a usb HD or a USB HD with a mirror, should it?

Would the NAS version of these raids work better? Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help.

I'd offer a discount for a brain tumor removal in exchange....

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:07 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I think going with NAS would just complicate things further, as it's meant to be it's own entity on the network, not storage attached the device you want to talk to.

Could be the Lacie drive is bad out of the box. The TC won't know the difference whether you attach a 4GB thumb drive or a 2 TB raid 1 mirror. The raid function is being handled by the Lacie hardware, so all the TC will see is the 1TB volume that results.

Old 12-13-2008 | 12:32 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Quick answer is: It depends. If you're using USB RAID devices that are doing mirroring (or what have you) at the hardware level, the time capsule should not care so long as it behaves like a standard USB mass storage device. This may not be the case with the LaCie unit.

If it's a software RAID solution, forget it, it'll never work.

I would say the simplest way to accomplish your goal would be to use another Mac, like a mini for example, to run the drives and provide the network connectivity. You could then run any number of USB/Firewire drives from it, and even use OS X's built in RAID subsystem if you didn't want to go the hardware route.

I use a similar solution for my media server.