Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

PDK woes (991 Specific)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Casey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond reputeCasey914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
uhm. what? You guys who think the mkI pdk is better than the mkII pdk are smoking sum guuud stuff. No-way-in-hell.

come drive with me I'll show you whats what.
Yeah i never agree w/sanner but I second this statement. My TTS clients feel the same way too.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
PDK blows on sports cars - I made the mistake once. Never again unless it's a Panamera or a Cayenne.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
uhm. what? You guys who think the mkI pdk is better than the mkII pdk are smoking sum guuud stuff. No-way-in-hell.

come drive with me I'll show you whats what.
im speaking day to day driving, slow/aggressive/on the street.

Originally Posted by suhaas307
You might just take what you said back when the new 991 GT3 is out.
i hope so

Originally Posted by DJ
Maybe just sell it and get this

Attachment 106653
my thoughts exactly and would be 4k cheaper... i was very close to ordering manual but kept thinking about the feeling of the 997.2 pdk

Originally Posted by alter.walter
It's boring as heck on the TTS. Delayed surging shift from first and no blips on downshifts.
never drove pdk turbo... but thats sad... the pdk turbo is a beast of a car...

Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Teamspeed Member
uhn2000 will become famous soon enoughuhn2000 will become famous soon enoughuhn2000 will become famous soon enoughuhn2000 will become famous soon enoughuhn2000 will become famous soon enoughuhn2000 will become famous soon enoughuhn2000 will become famous soon enoughuhn2000 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
PDK blows on sports cars - I made the mistake once. Never again unless it's a Panamera or a Cayenne.
Ditto...

Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I've had a C2S PDK and a Panamera S. When I went to look at another 997, I initially went to see another PDK. This one had the paddles instead of the buttons, and was more fun to drive than the buttons, and was certainly faster than any stick when I wanted to go like hell.

But the problem with PDK is that if you're not shifting every 7 seconds, PDK will automatically shift to where it wants to be. Normal, Sport, if you start using buttons/paddles/shifter to change gears but don't change within 7 seconds, PDK takes over again. What this amounted to for me was lack of control over the revs (and thus the sound). If I wanted to stomp on it and get going, PDK was always ready to shift lightning-quick, but it wouldn't hold a gear (say 3rd @ 40mph) if I wanted. I can't remember if SportPlus would hold a gear, so I won't comment on that.

So I brought that car back into the dealer and drove the GTS w/ 6spd and could NOT get the grin off of my face. Everywhere I go...even around the corner to the gas station...it feels like a sports car. I'm sure you can guess from my avatar image and other posts what I chose.

Of course, it's almost impossible to get my car to ride as composed as a PDK (997 or 991) when my wife and I go anywhere. We sometimes take it out for date night, but rarely simply because it's not as comfortable as a PDK would be.

But going to the 991 PDK: it is much improved in terms of shifts in the low gears. Much smoother. And it's still fast as hell and felt improved. But the only way I could get it to FEEL as sporty as a 997 (PDK or 6spd) was to drive it HARD. The car is so much more composed than previous generations that it does feel like a luxo GT for DD needs. I know it will kick a 997s a$$ around a track, but that's not as important to me as getting my kicks running to the bank or grocery store or office every day. So for me, the stick will continue to be my way to go IF a 991 is ever in my future.

And let's be honest, I'm not getting any younger...so maybe I'll want that one day. But not any day soon!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
huangester is an unknown quantity at this point
991PDK with Sport Plus, each gear shifts is without any compromise!! with PSE behind shouting... it just doesn't get any better with the upshift redline with a kick at ur back seat.... I don't know what feeling u don't like about PDK, but certainly I am getting a big kick out of each redline upshift from sport plus mode. I am certain the stick would provide a good hands down experience, but don't think it can get any better and PDK redline back seat kicking..... I would agree with u the normal mode is annoying with up/down shift by its computer, but why would u put it in normal mode to drive this car anyways? I turn the car on and hit the sport plus mode every time! if u put it in normal mode, then don't complain about the PDK, because its in "NORMAL" u suppose to drive normal and expect getting "blend shifting".... why would u expect something else in normal mode?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Marc
The 991 has more ability/stability at the limit this is what all the top journalists/test drivers indicate but the day to day experience has gotten softer and more geared towards the GT
car type rather then the sports car it once was.
+991! Couldn't have said it better myself and this is reason alone why even the manual isn't as sublime

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Teamspeed Member
mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
works quite well with Ferrari, thank you

Quick Reply: PDK woes (991 Specific)