Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

PDK woes (991 Specific)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the rough
PDK woes (991 Specific)

it's been about 5 weeks since i picked the car up, and about 4000 miles so far....

in the 997 days i went from owning a 6 speed cab (which i liked) and test driving the PDK i was instantly convinced it was better and upgraded to a PDK coupe (never looked back)

with the 991, I ordered PDK and subsequently test drove a PDK (test drive really isn't a good way to get the feel for a vehicle fully (pressure/salesman present) ) and liked it, having driven it now several miles, I can say without a doubt that the PDK on the 991 lacks soul and character like the 997.2 PDK had and I honestly wish I would have gone 7 speed manual.

Auto Mode (Normal): feels like driving a minivan, very bland and boring.

Auto Mode (Sport): more pickup, more character, nice down shifts on hard decel to proper gear (like the sound the symposer puts out, but outside car is still only engine noise) accel from standstill is very weak down low.

Manual Mode (Normal): throttle response is bland, accel from standstill still weak unless rolling in 1st, downshifts sound sexy

Manual Mode (Sport): throttle response is better but still bland, accel from stand still is still weak but rolling in 1st accel is stronger, downshifts are obviously sexier sounding..

Biggest Con: The vehicle "compensates" too much and "interupts" the driving experience, from standstill the power delivery is weak but engine wants to go (i feel the clutch is feathered too much and needs to be direct delivery of power) also when driving aggressively I feel a disconnect from the engine as if the trans is "feathering" something, or maybe the engine is pulling timing to retard the power output? I feel the car is further away from a manual transmission than in the past purely because of the software installed to "interupt" the driver...

does anyone else feel this when they are driving? I honestly feel Porsche needs to step up to the plate with a PDK update to address the problems or I'm not even sure I would/will want a PDK when the GT3 comes out (in the past I was nothing but excited to see a PDK trans in the GT3 which would make it "Turbo" fast but naturally aspirated.

-Riley

I will say however that the 997.2 off the showroom did not feel as "involved" as it did once I had installed exhaust and suspension (made it feel more like a sportscar and less like a family sedan).. and that maybe/hopefully once I install suspension/exhaust on the 991 it will feel more alive.. but this doesnt take away from the "Driver removed" feeling i get from the 991... the chassis just lacks character that even the 997 had, the driver definitely does not feel connected with the car as they once were... speeds that were once exciting in a 997 are now "bland and calm" in the 991..

Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
The 991 has more ability/stability at the limit this is what all the top journalists/test drivers indicate but the day to day experience has gotten softer and more geared towards the GT
car type rather then the sports car it once was.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Banned
alter.walter is an unknown quantity at this point
PDK is pretty boring on 997's too.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by alter.walter
PDK is pretty boring on 997's too.
i disagree, owning 2 997's and putting tons of miles on em.. the 997.2 PDK was surely different as far as "feathering" goes... more direct to wheels feeling.

PDK i will say is the second best double clutch trans behind the ferrari setup.. but needs some balls i.e. ferrari (also like ferrari's paddle system w/o shifter)

Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned
alter.walter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rijowysock
i disagree, owning 2 997's and putting tons of miles on em.. the 997.2 PDK was surely different as far as "feathering" goes... more direct to wheels feeling.

PDK i will say is the second best double clutch trans behind the ferrari setup.. but needs some balls i.e. ferrari (also like ferrari's paddle system w/o shifter)
It's boring as heck on the TTS. Delayed surging shift from first and no blips on downshifts.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
No sport Chrono No bueno!

PDK is a TIP replacement without the chrono, and yes it is most definetly worth it. 0-60 time of a standard PDK Carrera with Chrono will rival and "against most people" beat a stick S. That's significant

Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
uhm. what? You guys who think the mkI pdk is better than the mkII pdk are smoking sum guuud stuff. No-way-in-hell.

come drive with me I'll show you whats what.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Teamspeed Member
suhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished roadsuhaas307 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Marc
The 991 has more ability/stability at the limit this is what all the top journalists/test drivers indicate but the day to day experience has gotten softer and more geared towards the GT
car type rather then the sports car it once was.
You might just take what you said back when the new 991 GT3 is out.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe just sell it and get this

Name:  normal.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  95.2 KB

Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alter.walter
It's boring as heck on the TTS. Delayed surging shift from first and no blips on downshifts.
your Prius gotta make some mean sound when downshifting,..

you know,no blips,no glory

Quick Reply: PDK woes (991 Specific)