Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

PDK woes (991 Specific)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm... I am guessing you have sport chrono but are specifically talking about Nl/Sport mode when driving on the street.

I have driven both the 997.2 PDK and the 991 PDK extensively(close friends who own both). I would say the PDK in the 991 is far far superior to the 997 BUT the car itself is so much more stable, the steering more refined, the rear end too stable.... This leads to the feeling that the car is more of a GT car then a last gen. The reality is that the 991 is a MUCH better car BUT it is so refined that you miss some of the old school 911 rear engine tendencies.

We all know that PDK is the future BUT I would take a proper 3 pedal manual on ANY street car if that option was available to me.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Could it be that the assisted steering is also effecting the driving experience for you?

Have you tried driving it with traction control off to see if the car livens up?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 AM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mkultra
works quite well with Ferrari, thank you
I'm sure he was, for the most part, referring to P-cars. There is no comparison between PDK and F-1.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
heh!

Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by suhaas307
You might just take what you said back when the new 991 GT3 is out.
I have owned 2 997GT3's I know the difference between that variant and the others , as well what factual information do you have to prove your thoughts? Journalist reviews? Test drives? No a few photos testing on the ring...

Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry to hear. I personally quite liked the improvements made to the 991 pdk but I guess you're only option now would be to swap for a MT unless there are software tunes you can do to make the power delivery more aggressive.

EDIT: I have to ask as I'm fairly new to this --- what exactly does the "Chrono Package" do and why is it better to have a chrono package than to buy a car without one?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Travis_D You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I rented a 2011 Boxster in Scottsdale with PDK -- I just can't imagine this is the same PDK available on the 997 right? It is truly awful. I have a dual clutch in my 335is and I find that to be quite excellent for that type of transmission. I was hoping the 991 PDK changes would be revolutionary to the crap that was in that Boxster.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the roughrijowysock is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JonnybravoM3
Sorry to hear. I personally quite liked the improvements made to the 991 pdk but I guess you're only option now would be to swap for a MT unless there are software tunes you can do to make the power delivery more aggressive.

EDIT: I have to ask as I'm fairly new to this --- what exactly does the "Chrono Package" do and why is it better to have a chrono package than to buy a car without one?
sport chrono in 991 add's adaptive engine mounts, sport plus mode (launch control and harder shifting), and a chrono clock on dash.

the 0-60 is only faster because the launch control, the shifting is harder and more brash but does not make the car faster...

no additional horsepower comes from sport chrono.

if i sold my current 991 i would ask 82k... which would be probably the cheapest 991 in the country by far.... and would/should sell quickly.. question is do i order the manual trans for sept delivery... or just be patient.

other question is, if im ordering for sept delivery, which will be a 2013... do i get something more interesting like targa or a widebody 4s? (i really only prefer RWD however).

Last edited by rijowysock; 06-08-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
It's amazing that the only PDk complaints I ever hear are online. Like seriously. Not saying anyone is wrong and im not arguing but Orlando must be the twilight zone. Well that and the training events we go to. 99.9% of the people that I go on test drives with LOVE IT. Track guys included. Same with the Porsche events we attend. All the other sales guys hear the same things from their clients throughout teh US. I guess the .1% lives on the forums. I just cant figure it out. It's like we have all driven different cars.

And one last thing PDK is whatever, UNLESS YOU GET SPORT CHRONO!!!! IF THE PDK YOU DROVE DIDNT HAVE IT THEN YOU DIDNT DRIVE IT EVEN CLOSE TO IT'S POTENTIAL. I cannot stress that enough

Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
And correction Riley although the bulk of the acceleration enhancement does come from the launch control the car will actually accelerate faster with sport chrono. Look at the specs the 0-100 is .3 seconds faster on a chrono car. .2 seconds faster to 60. It wouldnt launch any different and after driving them there is a clear difference.

Quick Reply: PDK woes (991 Specific)